What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealer says chlorine doesnt work above 80 degrees?  (Read 5740 times)

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Dealer says chlorine doesnt work above 80 degrees?
« on: July 14, 2004, 02:57:56 pm »
Met with dealer today for "chem class."  He strongly recommends using bromine, claiming that its made specifically for spas.  He even told us that chlorine doesnt work above 80 degrees.  True or false?  If false, whats the motivation for pushing bromine over chlorine?  

We've decided to use chlorine and he was ok w/that, got our starter kit switched out and even thru in a SunPurity for n/chge.  He said that 95% of his customers use bromine.  Also, he doesnt carry dichlor but has something called Spa 56 that he said was the same.  He doesnt even carry the SunPurity, has to be ordered.  

Hot Tub Forum

Dealer says chlorine doesnt work above 80 degrees?
« on: July 14, 2004, 02:57:56 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Dealer says chlorine doesnt work above 80 degr
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 03:04:03 pm »
get another dealer.

The bromine that your dealer is trying to sell you is most likely 44% chlorine anyway. Read the label.

Spa 56 is the less potent type of Dichlor.

Dichlor may go away quickly in hot water, but it does work just fine.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 03:09:14 pm »
Well, cant get another dealer as the tub is being delivered tomorrow.  But I can do my own research, thx for the reply. I did know that bromine was 30-40% chlorine.  Thats why I was perplexed today at being told that.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 03:10:42 pm »
False.  Chlorine works fine over 80 degrees.  My dealer doesn't push bromine at all.  What you have to realize is that chlorine will do it's work and then disappear, so trying to maintain a residual (as in a pool) is near impossible and not necessary.  With the SunPurity (Nature2) just add enough dichlor to get your free chlorine levels to 2-3 ppm after use and shock once per week.

Spa 56 granules is dichlor by LeisureTime.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 04:04:31 pm »
get another dealer.

Dichlor may go away quickly in hot water, but it does work just fine.

That probably says it best.  It does work above 80, but when I can't be around my tub for a few days I crank mine down to about 80 so the tub stays cleaner longer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spaguyohio

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 04:11:48 pm »
Very easy question to answer. Dealers make more money on bromine then they do chlorine. Ive heard this from numerous pool/spa dealers in the area.

I know a local chain here in Ohio that cut a deal with one of the largest bromine manufacturers many moons ago to push that exclusively.

Your dealer is simply full of crap.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 04:27:27 pm »

Spa 56 is the less potent type of Dichlor.

Really?   :o

I don't mean to question you of all people, Chas, but I'm curious about potency.  I received a bottle of Sun brand of chlorine with my intial set up of my tub from dealer.  When I needed more chlorine, I went to another dealer (my HotSpring dealer is 45 min. away and they don't carry HotSpring anymore, anyway) and bought Leisure Time Spa 56.  Thought I got a great deal.  I checked the active and inert ingredients and they were the same.  The Spa 56 says 55% active chlorine.  I can't find active chlorine amount on my Sun brand bottle.  What should I be looking for?
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

fedmandoo

• which brand do we buy???? Hummm still looking
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 05:07:04 pm »
 CalicoskiesNC
Aside from the bromine over chlorine debate I would keep this issue in the back of your mind for when another issue comes up and your are looking for your dealers recommendation on it. I wouldn't automatically take his word on it and start getting other opinions and researching it yourself. Too bad you’re starting out your customer dealer relationship on a bad note... I feel a strong relationship with your spa dealer is one of the most important aspects of purchasing a spa. Best of luck Fedman

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 06:38:32 pm »
"He even told us that chlorine doesnt work above 80 degrees."

Let me add to the cacophony of spa retailers and care professionals responses.

WRONG!

95 % of your dealers customers use bromine because of the misinformation he's been passing around, not because it's the sanitizer cure-all he's making it out to be.

Spa 56 IS  granulated sodium dichlor, or spa chlorine-Which is what you should be using with a portable spa. Chas is also correct indicating that bromine has chlorine in it...

Be sure to take your dealers future recommendations with a grain of salt and ask someone who knows what theyre talking about.

Snuggles

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 07:30:34 pm »
Not sure if this means anything but on my bottle of Spaclear Iso Chlor-56 it shows as active ingredients: Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate @ 99% and inert ingredients @1%. It works great for me. Not sure how this compares to the Leisure time brand, but it seems that you would have to add more of it compared to the Spaclear. Probably speeds up TDS as a result. I'm no chemist, but I've owned a hot tub for the last 12 years and you could say I've learned by experience. I tried bromine before and always had to fiddle with water balance and such. Never saw the benefits ie. less odors. I always found bromine had it's own distinct odor that I didn't care for. There is nothing out there that is easier and less costly than going with Dichlor. Good luck and happy tubbing. ;D    

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 09:24:20 pm »

Really?   :o

I don't mean to question you of all people, Chas, but I'm curious about potency.  I received a bottle of Sun brand of chlorine with my intial set up of my tub from dealer.  When I needed more chlorine, I went to another dealer (my HotSpring dealer is 45 min. away and they don't carry HotSpring anymore, anyway) and bought Leisure Time Spa 56.  Thought I got a great deal.  I checked the active and inert ingredients and they were the same.  The Spa 56 says 55% active chlorine.  I can't find active chlorine amount on my Sun brand bottle.  What should I be looking for?

Please don't ever hesitate to ask a question - I love to learn, and I certainly do goof from time to time.

There are two potencies available, and I don't know all the intricacies of how and why, but one is 62% and the other is 56%. In the tub, they don't really react much differently.

Here's a label cut and paste for another "Dichor:"

GRANULAR SWIMMING POOL & SPA SANITIZER
concentrated for spas and pools.

Active ingredient:
           Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetriane……….97.0%

Inert ingredients: ……3.0%

Available chlorine ……62%

Leisure Time is 56 % Available Chlorine.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 07:07:56 am »

Please don't ever hesitate to ask a question - I love to learn, and I certainly do goof from time to time.

I don't hesitate to ask a question, I hesitate, however, to question your knowledge!!!  ;)

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize there was a higher concentration.  I'll look for it next time!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 09:52:23 am »
 ;)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 10:23:50 am »
So does this mean that it's always best to use a Dichlor with a higher concentration?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 10:23:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42