What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping for Dimension One, Hot Spring or Maax Spa and need help choosing.  (Read 9722 times)

Racenut

Re: Shopping for Dimension One, Hot Spring or Maax Spa and need help choosing.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 12:09:46 pm »
Yes, even within the same brand. They don't use the same jets, pumps etc. I would advise you to do research.

That's what brought me and many other people here... doing research. And that's what I'm doing, and why I ask here.  Information on what brand of pump or jet or heater or control system is in a particular brand or model of hot tub isn't something you typically find in the sales literature. This site is the best resource I've found that has people who have actual experience taking these fancy buckets apart.  I've taken my D1 apart and fixed a dozen or so leaks, and spent more time than I ever wanted to digging through that hard D1 foam. But that's one tub. Hardly a broad sample. If you have specific information please share.  Or if you know of another resource to get that kind of information.. again, please share. But "do research" seems a bit redundant here.

Pumps may be different Hp (and sometimes the same) but they're the typically the same otherwise. The differences beyond the added lighting, waterfalls... are often upgrades in the siding, the jets, the heater and the controls...

Fancier jets(i.e. Motomassage), or more jets, yes, but longer lasting?  Simpler jets tend to last longer than ones with moving parts. Nicer looking siding for sure, but they're all using synthetics that should last a long long time these days. Higher power heater, but better quality? Perhaps Titanium vs Stainless, so maybe yes.  And I'd argue that the fancy color touch screen panels won't last as long as the simpler LCD with rubber buttons control panel.  I'm not saying the higher end tubs don't have more features or aren't a step up in "luxury"... but last longer?

That said, my fairly simple "lower end" D1 tub is 15+ years old, and had I not moved it after 10+ years sitting in the same spot, it would likely still be doing just fine.  Moving it turned it into a leak monster and I'm done with it.  But... everything still works, even the circ pump that ran 24/7/365 for so many years... never a problem. I did read that they've switched to barb and clamp fittings instead of glue, I wish they had done that sooner lol.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 12:09:46 pm »

Racenut

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »
The wavemaster 9000 is a just better pump than the wavemaster 6000. And although built by the same company, it's not the same build. That's just like saying the only difference between a chevy malibu and a corvette is horsepower. Same brand don't equal same quality. And wouldn't all the other differences you pointed out equate to a better built tub?  I'm not saying budget lines from reputable brands aren't good, but it's just not the same build as their top tier lines.

Using your Malibu and Corvette... again, there is no doubt that a Corvette comes with more "features" and is a more desirable product and even worth the extra cost.  But a friend of mine owns a Taxi company... he has a fleet of Malibus.  Some have over 300K miles on them and that's city street driving.  I think you'd be hard pressed to say the higher end, fancier Corvette will last longer.

I didn't include the Cruze because I'm pretty sure those are roto-molded   ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:19:57 pm by Racenut »

orlando1

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »
The wavemaster 9000 is a just better pump than the wavemaster 6000. And although built by the same company, it's not the same build. That's just like saying the only difference between a chevy malibu and a corvette is horsepower. Same brand don't equal same quality. And wouldn't all the other differences you pointed out equate to a better built tub?  I'm not saying budget lines from reputable brands aren't good, but it's just not the same build as their top tier lines.

Absolutely the differences equate to a better spa and if the price were the same its a no-brainer. some prefer a Chevy Cruze for $20k, another the Malibu for $30k and yet for another the Corvette is the right car for them at $50k and its the same with hot tubs where one person is more than happy with a Hot Spot while the next guy bumps up to a Limelight or is only going to be happy with the top of the line Hot Springs. It all depends on what the person wants, needs, expectations and budget.

I'm with you there. This only became a topic when someone pointed out if you want a tub to last 15 years, you'll be better off upping your budget to get into a higher tier. For someone without those expectations and just wants a good tub, then the hotspot would be a good choice.

orlando1

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »

Using your Malibu and Corvette... again, there is no doubt that a Corvette comes with more "features" and is a more desirable product and even worth the extra cost.  But a friend of mine owns a Taxi company... he has a fleet of Malibus.  Some have over 300K miles on them and that's city street driving.  I think you'd be hard pressed to say the higher end, fancier Corvette will last longer.

My corvette reference wasn't about longevity, but a response about "being the same but with more horsepower" to another poster. I was pointing out that there was more of a difference than just horsepower. As far as longevity goes, the difference between the hotspot and highlife are more than just bells and whistles. Better quality heaters, better quality jets(you won't have to replace them as often), better quality cabinets, does point to a better quality tub. But you are free to believe whatever you like. I'm not going to continue to derail this thread.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »
Waterway makes jets that cost 15 bucks and others that look the same but cost 30, why? Waterway will tell you better quality through improved manufacturing processes and differences in material with equates to better longevity. True?

Also the higher end lines from the manufacturers usually carry a longer/better warranty. Is this indicative of a better product? Or simply just added cost?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42