What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do I need to drain hot tub to get rid of black mold?  (Read 4321 times)

monkeymama

Do I need to drain hot tub to get rid of black mold?
« on: June 27, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »
I have a fairly new (only 6 months old) hotsprings Vanguard tub. Everything has been great, but the tub recently had a month of complete inactivity while family was on vacation. I came home, took off the cover and there was slimey black mold around some of the jets, and alone the inside corners of the filter compartment. I used a plastic brush and and towels to scrape off all the visible mold, skimmed anything visibly floating  out of the water, did a double chlorine shock and then balanced the water. I don't see any more visible mold - but my question is are we safe to use the spa as is now? I read a few things online that if you have visible mold around jets, you most likely have lots of nonvisible mold in the pipes. We live in California where we have extreme water shortages (and fines!) and I really, really don't want to drain the spa and refill it unless I absolutely have to. Also, I just replaced the filters two months ago - but should I replace them again? Also curious if anyone knows if this kind of mold in the tub will make you sick, or if it's just a nuisance and gross. Obviously if it's the former, I want to make sure to do everything I can to totally eradicate the mold! Thanks so much for any advice!!

Hot Tub Forum

Do I need to drain hot tub to get rid of black mold?
« on: June 27, 2015, 06:39:47 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Do I need to drain hot tub to get rid of black mold?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:57:02 am »
 Pretty sure if you hit it hard with chlorine you are probably fine.   Watch the ph/alk and maintain the chlorine levels, I would also hit the underside of the cover with bleach as well.   Don't use a jet clean type product I think you have to drain the spa after use.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Do I need to drain hot tub to get rid of black mold?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:57:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42