What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera vs Bullfrog  (Read 12015 times)

jbyrd72

• Can't wait to be soakin'!!!
Caldera vs Bullfrog
« on: November 04, 2004, 07:35:32 pm »
I am in the process of purchasing a hot tub.  I have done numerous hours of research on the net as well as visiting my local dealers.  The two choices I have narrowed down is the Caldera Utopia Geneva or the Bullfrog Spas 552.  Is there anyone who has any info on either one of these 2 spas..positive or negative thoughts..

Thanks...Hope to purchase within a month

:D

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera vs Bullfrog
« on: November 04, 2004, 07:35:32 pm »

poolboy34

Re: Caldera vs Bullfrog
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:07:30 am »
I can't comment on the bullfrog spas as I've never seen one in person, but I have read on some of these platforms that they are a good spa.  the jet pack concept sems like a really interesting concept.

caldera is an excelent brand of spas, backed by one of the industries leaders in sales and service, watkins manufacturing.  The Geneva Utopia is a great spa.

Definitly wet test the models you are interested in, and go with the spa that you feel fits you and your families needs and wants the best.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:59:23 am »
I checked out bullfrog..and was not impressed....I think the idea is good marketing but does not offer real practical value....I am not a Caldera fan myself..but there are many here and on other boards that are very happy with them....I would wet test both to see what you like...My reason for not caring for Caldera was after my wet test, it just left me to itchy....but that is just me... for others again they are great...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 06:55:24 pm by Mendocino101 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 08:07:04 am »
My reason for not caring for Caldera was after my wet test, it just left me to itchy....but that is just me... for others again they are great...

Itchy because of the power of the jets or could it have been the water chemistry of that particular tub?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

poolboy34

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 10:16:19 am »
I've heard from time to time that the smaller jets that caldera uses can cause itchy skin after a prolonged soak in the tub, due to the high power that the jet pumps have.  By using the selector valves you can tone down the jets to make them more comfortable :D  This is also why many spa owners prefer larger jets, as they provide a more gentle massage that you can enjoy for longer periods of time.  

And wmcall is right that it could also have been caused by poor water chemistry at the dealership that mendo tested at............of course if he'd tested at one of our showrooms the water chemistry wouldn't have been a factor ;) ;D

I'm curious to see a bullfrog in action, and actually get some hands-on with the jet packs.  Maybe someone in my area will pick them up.  Let us know what you think of them after your wet test.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 12:21:48 pm »
As Jason mentioned...I think it was size of the jets...in speaking to a Caldera dealer who also carried Jacuzzi....he really liked the Caldera but if there was one thing he would change it would be larger jets...he said that  people saying they felt itchy was not totally uncommon...but again many people love their Calderas and they are a well made and great looking spa....

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 12:35:38 pm »

due to the high power that the jet pumps have.  Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

As a long time Hot Spring dealer, I do not consider them to have "high power" jet pumps.  They make a great quality spa, dont get me wrong.  But I think the customer that buys them isnt looking for the "blast me out of my seat" spa.  They do not play the horsepower game so it just causes confusion in the customer to try to explain the the Watkins 1.5hp is just as strong as their 4hp.  Most people probably think "yeah, whatever".  We tend to sell them on the quality overall.  
I personally think the small precision jets hurt like h*ll.  They feel like little needles to me.  I am much more comfortable in front a larger flow jet.
I think of it kinda like a garden hose.  If you turn it on, you have a certain flow.  When you put your thumb over the end you create more pressure (which isnt as comfortable to some. )

No offense Jason, Store Manager of a D-1 & Caldera Dealer.
Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 12:38:17 pm »
I saw Bullfrog in Vegas last year and I agree the jet pack is an interesting concept but we as a dealer agreed that the average customer would probably not switch around the jets packs enough to make it a viable line to carry.  So we picked up Artesian.

Measure once, cut twice.

poolboy34

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 03:09:12 pm »
No offense taken saledvl, uh I mean sir salesdvle ;)  Watkins also uses different size pumps in their Caldera Brand, then they use in their Hot Spring Brand.  They actually treat each brand as a seperate entity.  The Caldera's are also plumbed VERY effeiciently.  The jet action on their Utopia series rivals that of Sundance & D-1 from what I've seen.  And i agree the smaller jets are like shooting needles.  That's probably why i prefer the massage of the D-1 spas as opposed to the massage of the Caldera's.  D-1 uses primarily Large jets with larger flows of water.  BTW the D-1's can blow you out of the spa when they are cranked up, and I know Sundance spas are the same way.

The horsepower game is just that, a game.  Most spas have pumps that range in size anywhere from 3/4HP-4HP for continous use.  From what I've read and seen anything listed higher then that is quoting BHP.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 05:38:20 pm »
One of the dealers in town has recently taken on bullfrog spas so i went out to take a look after reading this post.My first impression was it looked way to complex to be reliable .the more pieces to put together ,the more chances for a problem in my opinion. I think in theory it is a good idea ,time will tell if it stands upand it very well may be a great spa. ...but time will tell bobhol

jbyrd72

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 06:41:52 pm »
Thanks to all who have replied.  I will be wet testing a Caldera Utopia Tahitian tomorrow.  The Dealer is making me an offer on a floor model and wants me to try it out.  Can get it for about $7000 with steps, cover lifter, chemicals, GFCI, and installation.

Will let you know how it goes,

Thanks again

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 06:46:24 pm »
Thanks to all who have replied.  I will be wet testing a Caldera Utopia Tahitian tomorrow.  The Dealer is making me an offer on a floor model and wants me to try it out.  Can get it for about $7000 with steps, cover lifter, chemicals, GFCI, and installation.

Will let you know how it goes,

Thanks again

Aren't you going to sample the Bullfrog? I don't think I am alone in saying that I would love to here about your experience. Just bcuz its new and some think its a gimmick dosen't mean you should rule it out!

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

jbyrd72

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 11:00:18 pm »
Aren't you going to sample the Bullfrog? I don't think I am alone in saying that I would love to here about your experience. Just bcuz its new and some think its a gimmick dosen't mean you should rule it out!

HTM

The closest dealer for the Bullfrog is at least an hour drive from where i live.  Caldera dealer is 10 min

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 10:17:13 am »
I have a Caldera and like it very much.  The jets are adjustable and easy to use.  The itchy thing happens when the jets are set at relatively high levels, but the problem is non-existent once you learn how to set the controls.  The Caldera is just great in every way for me and I cannot say enough good things about it.

In fairness to your situation, I would buy from a convenient dealer so you can get help when, as, and if you ever need it. That factor would be more important to me than which brand to buy.  There are several other good brands out there.  

Regards,

Bill

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 12:07:07 pm »
I have a Caldera and like it very much.  The jets are adjustable and easy to use.  The itchy thing happens when the jets are set at relatively high levels, but the problem is non-existent once you learn how to set the controls.  The Caldera is just great in every way for me and I cannot say enough good things about it.

Regards,

Bill
Hey - you're not the Bill Stevenson from West Palm Beach, are you?

Glad you said what you did Bill - also, the smallest jets on the Cladera spas can be swapped out with rotary jets which clam them down quite a bit. Makes a whole new jet out of them.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 12:07:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42