What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning HotSpring Tri-X Filter  (Read 4639 times)

gizmodo

Cleaning HotSpring Tri-X Filter
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:25 am »
I have been using a hose to clean these, but I was wondering if I could use a pressure washer.  I don't feel as though the hose gets everything off, and I find myself picking fuzz out of the filters with tweezers.  My pressure washer is adjustable and I have a gauge on there.  How much pressure can these take?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:24:10 pm by gizmodo »

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning HotSpring Tri-X Filter
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:25 am »

GGRANDEE

Re: Cleaning HotSpring Tri-X Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:34 am »
I've been using a garden hose as well, but now that the frigid temps are here to stay for awhile I've been contemplating the dishwasher with no heat! My dealer advised not to use the dishwasher method but I have seen other posts where they have not experienced any problems. Will the filters hold up?? I got five of them to replace if this method fails!!  :-\

gizmodo

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:05 pm »
Below is the response I got from HotSpring.  Not terribly helpful for the question I asked, but it sounds like it isn't very useful to pressure wash them.
Good afternoon, Nick - Thanks for writing to Watkins about cleaning TriX filters.   Because the filters are not made of flexible material, it is difficult to clean debris from deep in the folds.  Using a power washer may help remove some of it, but will tend to push most of it deeper into the folds.

If you not already, soak the filters in a filter degreaser - available from your locally authorized spa dealer and sometimes from Home Depot or Lowe's type stores.  You can also soak them in a solution of water and TSP (TriChloro Phosphate) that is, many times, available at your local grocery store.  I find it on the automotive aisle, in a small, bright orange box.  Follow the instructions on the box for the correct measure of TSP powder to add to a 5 gallon bucket of water.   Soak the filter for at least an hour and then rinse it with a garden hose.  You should be good to go!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:20:29 pm »
TSP is going to be the main ingredient in most "filter clean" solutions...some of them will have a little acid mixed in to remove any potential deposits as well.  Just make sure you are thoroughly rinsing your filters after you have soaked them to avoid any bubbles in the tub.  If you want a little quicker but still effective process you can check out Leisure Times 'Instant Cartridge Clean' which is a spray on/rinse off cleaner that you only need to leave on for 5-10 minutes.

Both versions (soaking and spray on) of Leisure Time's filter cleaning products can be seen here: http://www.leisuretimespa.com/Cleaners.aspx

edit: pressure washer is not needed, def. can be used as I have done it in the past, just use a wide angle tip and keep it back from the filters to avoid damage
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:23:54 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:20:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42