What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine vs. chlorine, whats the consensus here?  (Read 5443 times)

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Bromine vs. chlorine, whats the consensus here?
« on: July 07, 2004, 02:28:40 pm »
My SD dealer wants to start us out with a bromine system. Its for an Optima with cd ozone.  Its seems from what I read that the majority of tub owners prefer a chlorine system.  I am taking my chem class on Monday, and I need to specify at that time if I want to begin with bromine or chlorine.  What is the consensus?  

We dont think there are any allergies or skin problems in our family, but I guess we wouldnt really know that till we stewed in the tub for awhile.  I'm thinking that we should start with the SunPurity/mineral thingey and use dichlor as opposed to bromine tablets.  Yes or no?  Our dealer says to start with Bromine and see if anyone has a reaction, why would I want to do that?

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine vs. chlorine, whats the consensus here?
« on: July 07, 2004, 02:28:40 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Bromine vs. chlorine, whats the consensus here
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 02:35:48 pm »
I prefer chlorine.  My dealer was going to set me up with Baqua, but since I got the ozone, he set me up on chlorine.

Just my $.02 worth.  I know some people love Bromine and others who have had trouble with it.

Congratulations on getting the exact tub you wanted.  It will be so well worth it!!!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 02:40:36 pm »
Chem class?

CalicoskiesNC

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 02:46:22 pm »
Our dealership includes a spa chem class (about 30-45min) with his setup.  You just set it up for a day or two before delivery and they go over everything with you.  

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 02:49:42 pm »
Did Jason say if the Chem Class is at your house or at the store?

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 03:33:16 pm »
I use the SunPurity and dichlor method.  I find it very easy and effective.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 04:09:28 pm »
I read somewhere that Chlorine has a natural ph of 7.0 )(my words) and Bromine has a natural ph of 8.0   If that is true and you have no preferences, maybe if you test your tap water and find it to be a high PH, using Dichlor will help bring it down.   If your PH is low, using Bromine might help bring it up or keep it up as you add more santizier than most other chemicals.

Anyone else want to comment on this theory that was running through my head?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 06:24:19 pm »
Dichlor Rules!

Snuggles

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 07:25:36 pm »
I'm with ZZ , Dichlor is the way to go. I use Dichlor and Nature's 2, with Ozone and I'm very happy with it. Very easy to maintain a clear and clean tub. Just remember to shock often and add a teaspoon or so of Dichlor when you're finished soaking and you won't even smell the chlorine.  If you'd like to read up on it go here:
http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm

and read Northman's and Vermonter's posts on the subject.

Happy Tubbing!!!   :)

CalicoskiesNC

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 08:43:06 pm »
Thx for the replies. Yup, I've read the stuff at rhtubs several times, very good info there.  I was just wondering if I should follow the advice of the dealer and start with bromine or if I should just tell him I want to do dichlor and nature 2, which I think I will do.  

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 05:54:19 am »
Bromine and Monopersulphate (a shock for bromine) is very expensive compared to dichlor.

Bromine maintaines a 3-5 PPM level in your water at all times creating a chlorine smell that never goes away even during soaks. Unlike dichlor which is gone during your next soak.

MPS drives down PH and Alk so constant adjusting is neccesary.

Dichlor requires you to add it after every soak, where as bromine is automaticly dispensed from a feeder.

Retired

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 08:49:29 am »
Bromine and Monopersulphate (a shock for bromine) is very expensive compared to dichlor.

How much more expensive?  We're going to be having to make the decision in a month or so as well when our Optima arrives.  How much is the SunPurify compared to the bromine or dichlor?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

CalicoskiesNC

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 09:02:52 am »
Thx for the info, I have decided I am going to start out with dichlor and SunPurity.  I dont like the idea of that chlorine smell in the tub all the time.  

Bulmer: SunPurity, from what I gather, is Sundance's version of the Nature2 mineral cartridge that fits in the brominator.  I think it works by releasing minerals that kill bacteria on contact.  From what I've seen, the SunPurity runs about $30 and I think you change it with your water changes every 3months.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 09:02:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42