What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: old suntub from sundance...leaks!  (Read 2249 times)

Sean

old suntub from sundance...leaks!
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
We have an old suntub from sundance.  The round one, maybe 300 gallons.  It has a leak, very likely from one of the jets, and definitely not from the pump area.  My main issue is it seems impossible to remove the skirting without cutting.  Is that the case?  I am willing to do so, as otherwise the tub is useless for us. 

thanks for any assistance

Sean

Hot Tub Forum

old suntub from sundance...leaks!
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: old suntub from sundance...leaks!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:31:26 am »
The jets can be accessed if you drain the spa and flip it up on its side.  Otherwise you would need to cut the panels. 

Sean

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:33:24 am »
Thanks.  I drained it and flipped it, but had second thoughts about digging in from below.  When flipped we did not know the location of the leak (tub has been empty for awhile).  It was only after filling that I could see water dripping below, and in the general area of a jet.  I had hoped to access that location with water in the tub to verify the leak....without draining , flipping , digging, flipping, and filling...

looks like I"ll be sawing (carefully) into the side at the jet.  BTW, I did try the food dye trick, but it is a slow leak and hard to tell if any dye actually went in...

thanks for the suggestion.  Any special tricks about cutting into the skirt (other than to be careful)?
Sean

burhead

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »
I had the same tub and fixed mine several years ago. I placed the tub on blocks and filled it then watched for leaks. Once I knew the general area, I drained the tub and flipped it on its side. Then I was able to chisel the foam away. Just keep following the wet foam and you will find the leaking fitting. Once I found the leaking fitting I placed a shop vac on the nearest jet to create a vacuum in the pipe. While doing this I drizzled PVC glue over the joint. This worked very well, my tub had 3 leaking joints all in the same area. I did this 4 years ago and It is still holding today.

Sean

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:19 am »
I will try flipping it again and digging from below, now that the general leak area is identified.  Glad to hear it worked out for you...did you re-foam it afterwards?  Maybe depends on climate.  I am in Anchorage and it can get cold even here, so I probably should re-insulate with something at least.
Sean

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42