What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Preventative Maintenance  (Read 2289 times)

clovett

Cover Preventative Maintenance
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »
So I'm tooling along and start reading about covers.  It appears they last 3-5 years some longer.  But when they fail the main thing is the Styrofoam gets waterlogged.  When that happens it's no longer usable and is heavy like lead.

So I'm thinking my cover has been inside it's life and is probably in great shape.  But when looking at videos of how they make spa covers they all do one thing the same.  When finished with the Styrofoam they seal it in thin cheap plastic to protect it from the water for a few years.  Some heat seal some don't.

I'm thinking a roll of PVC cling wrap that covers about 500 sf is $22.  If I pull my Styrofoam out and wrap it it will keep the water out period.  Then I would have some repair options.

Any thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Preventative Maintenance
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Cover Preventative Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »
Unless you can hermetically seal the PVC cling wrap (glue or heat seal), you'd be wasting your time and your $22.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clovett

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »
Actually you can hermetically seal it, so I think I will try it.  Anyone can hermetically seal it, it's really simple.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 07:11:05 pm »
Actually you can hermetically seal it, so I think I will try it.  Anyone can hermetically seal it, it's really simple.
I don't know any hermits that are willing to seal my cover foam.  Do you?

clovett

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
Too bad for you.  Here they come around all the time offering to seal things.

I got my tub today and one side is really light, but the other one weighs about a fourth more.  I examined the cover and found a small hole.  Thankfully it's been inside.  If it had been outside it would be ruined.  Tomorrow I'll have the crabs seal it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42