What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Paver Base for Cold Area?  (Read 6736 times)

jason26

Paver Base for Cold Area?
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:54:24 pm »
So we are going ahead and putting in a swim spa.  There is currently a paver base that the previous own had a hottub on, but upon closer inspection is not level at all, so it looks like I have a big job ahead of me.

Given we have temperature extremes of -30C to +40C, is a paver base even recommended?  Moisture is not really an issue.  This the high part of the yard close to the house, and there seems to be good drainage out and away from the house.

My other though was removing all the pavers out, removing the sand that is under them (I don't think there is any gravel under that, which could be why they are no longer level?) and filling with crushed gravel.  Then putting the hottab right on the crushed gravel, and then placing something more decorative on top of the gravel around the tub right on top of the gravel, perhaps decking?  It would come up around 2-3 inches from the ground, but I'd probably do it in panels so they could be remove easily if the bottom edge of the tub needs to be accessed.

Of course there is the concrete pad option, but we're least keen on that.  We think we could make anything else look better, and I think concrete has its own issues in our temperatures, at least going to our side walks, driveways and other cement walkways!

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Paver Base for Cold Area?
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:54:24 pm »

Sam

Re: Paver Base for Cold Area?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:14:11 pm »
Swim spa's are a lot heavier than regular hot tubs.  I would see what the manufacturer recommendation for a foundation is.  Insufficient foundation can cause major problems including cracking of the shell.  This potential is magnified with a swim spa.  There is almost always a clause in the warranty stating that an improper foundation can void it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:27:15 pm »
Yea your going to have to see what the manufacturer suggests but what's under the final surface choice is the most important part of the process. The deeper you can go with sand/gravel/class 2 limestone the better in extreme climates. I'm in Northern Minnesota so understand the climate. I have seen just about every type of foundation and the prep work seemed to be the most important factor in any failures or successes. Sounds like you have the drainage part good. Not all swim spas here stay full and heated for the winter. Almost always an indoor thing here.
Retired

jason26

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:40:44 pm »
So other than a cement pad, crushed gravel was recommended.  I went to my local garden and landscaping place, and they have "base gravel" which is smaller rocks mixed with dirt, looks like it would compact really well.  They also had "crushed gravel" which really was just rocks - no dirt or anything very fine in the mix.

Is "crushed gravel" really what I'd be after?  They suggested at least 6" of the stuff.  I'm assuming a little more wouldn't hurt?

Thanks

Topline Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »
Six inches will be fine.  As long as you have a solid base, I would think 4 inches would work.  I would rent a plate compactor from your local hardware store.  Maybe set some treated 2X4's along the edge to separate the gravel from your yard.  Create a rectangle with them, making sure they are level.  Use another 2X4 to "screed" the gravel smooth, then compact.  Add more gravel, screed, and compact again.  You'll have a nice base in no time. 

jason26

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12:40 pm »
Cool.  Sounds good.  Basically its like I'm building yet another sandbox, just with a different contents..  Yes, a border of treated 2x4 or 2x6s was in my mental plan to lock the gravel in place.

Alright, thanks for the tips guys..  I'm pretty confident I know what I'm doing now.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:31:47 pm »
Class 2 limestone layered and compacted is what we use under our roads. Wet it and use a plate compactor as you go a couple inches at a time and it will be like concrete when your done.
Retired

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:24 am »
So we are going ahead and putting in a swim spa.  There is currently a paver base that the previous own had a hottub on, but upon closer inspection is not level at all, so it looks like I have a big job ahead of me.

Given we have temperature extremes of -30C to +40C, is a paver base even recommended?  Moisture is not really an issue.  This the high part of the yard close to the house, and there seems to be good drainage out and away from the house.

My other though was removing all the pavers out, removing the sand that is under them (I don't think there is any gravel under that, which could be why they are no longer level?) and filling with crushed gravel.  Then putting the hottab right on the crushed gravel, and then placing something more decorative on top of the gravel around the tub right on top of the gravel, perhaps decking?  It would come up around 2-3 inches from the ground, but I'd probably do it in panels so they could be remove easily if the bottom edge of the tub needs to be accessed.

Of course there is the concrete pad option, but we're least keen on that.  We think we could make anything else look better, and I think concrete has its own issues in our temperatures, at least going to our side walks, driveways and other cement walkways!

Thanks!

It sounds like maybe you pulled the trigger on one! If so, congrats! What model did you end up going with?
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

jason26

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:07:52 pm »

Thanks!

It sounds like maybe you pulled the trigger on one! If so, congrats! What model did you end up going with?

We went with the Coast.  In the end it came down to cost.  The Arctic did seem like the Cadillac, and the Coast felt a little lesser, but the large cost difference sold us.  The only thing that anyone could really tell us that was better on the Arctic was the forever bottom.  And Coasts PVC bottom is definetely a lesser bottom, but I think its good enough for the foundation we gave it.

In more general to this thread, we had a bobcat come in and scrape out dirt down to clay (12-16"), and then filled that in with crushed rock.  I'm pretty confident its going to stay solid for years to come, and so was everyone I showed it.

But the wife has landscaping plans which may change the orientation of the tub sigh.. .In which case I'll just write the check and have a cement thrown down so she can't change her mind again!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:07:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42