What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: So frustrated  (Read 2713 times)

actusreus

So frustrated
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »
Hi!

Bought a Marquis Show in October.
It was on chlorine originally, but they couldn't keep the tub clear, so they changed me over to biguanide.
It has been very very difficult to maintain, and the seller, rather than giving me any really clear info, is really trying to push me into the $200 per month maintenance contract.  (No-way).

Can you guys help me out?  It seems pretty clear I need to do more than I'm doing, but I'm not sure what.

Once a week, I test the water.  Even when it seems murky and smelly (which it seems to be after only a week), the strip just tells me the PH is high.  So I add PH reducer.

The only other things he told me to add were Sanitizer and Stain and Scale.  But there's really no indication for those on the strip, so I just dump a couple of capfulls of those a week.

I clean the filters every two weeks.

I gotta think this thing shouldn't be a murky mess after only one week.  During the last week, I didn't sit in it once, since the weather's been improving. 

Any help on a specific treatment plan, telling me how much of what I should put when, would be great.  It just seems like they tell you it should all be by feel, but I don't know how I'm supposed to know what is what.  I'd really rather not drain and refill the stupid thing every week.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

So frustrated
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »

castletonia

Re: So frustrated
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:31 pm »
I have no experience with biquanides however, part of the issue could be the amount of filtration.  You have 2 filter cycles, what are they set for?  I personally would start with 6 hours total daily and adjust from there.  My opinion is anything less is inadequate, does not allow enough time for the ozone to run and if you use the in-line system not enough time for that either. 

Your dealer needs to assist you better.  If they are going to recommend a certain water care program, they need to educate you on how to use it.  If the water is already a mess, depending on how old it is, I would personally run a plumbing cleaner, drain, and refill.  I'm assuming you were using the @ease system from Frog initially?  If so, the filtration time, setting of the smartchlor cartridge, and usage are all contributing factors as to how well it works.  My experience has been that once a month shocking is not sufficient.  Also, I had much better luck when using a chlorine based shock like SpaGuard Enhanced Shock or Leisure Time Replenish than the traditional non-chlorine shocks.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:56 pm »
  Like mentioned up the filtration, and no need to clean filter every 2 weeks.  Try every 3 months or so.     It also sounds like a lack of sanitizer either way.   Once you start spending money on the biguanide system you might want to go back to chlorine.  People usually love it or absolutely hate it.

How many people using the spa on a regular basis? 

actusreus

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:55:41 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's me and three kids, but I only have them every other week.  When I have them, we sit in it 2-5 times a week.  When I'm alone, it's much less. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:11:32 pm »
 Options are keep what you are doing and learn the system.  Or try Chlorine again, with the advice from people here.
Or go to a bromine floater and see how that works for you again from info here.

No reason the last 2 shouldn't work for you.

actusreus

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:34:00 pm »
I guess that's my issue -- what's the system?  Maybe this is pie in the sky, but since the testing strip is telling me next to nothing, I'd like to be able to just say:

Okay, every 2, or 3, or 7, or however many days, I put x,y and z in, and change the filters every however often, and it'll stay clear and good.  Is that possible?

Thanks.

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:10:20 pm »
The Marquis owners manual will say to change filters annually.  Assuming you abandon the biguanide and go with chlorine....  I would still use the Frog Mineral Cartridge.  It reduces the necessary chlorine requirement.  Balance pH and total alkalinity initially and as needed.  Add non-chlorine shock once a week.  Add chlorine either after each use or every couple days, whichever comes first.  If you have water with minerals present, use a stain & scale product on each fill.

I just don't know if you can switch back off the biguanide without getting new filters.  Biguanide's don't mix well with chlorine or bromine.   

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:21:46 am »
Three tips:

Biquanide is way more expensive. As a dealer we loved watching people plunk down a hundred bucks when they would have been paying around 20 or 30 if they were on Dichlor. But after so MANY water clarity complaints, and having to replace filters FAR more often, we stopped selling it. We sold Bagua brand, and then we kept some of the LeisureTime 'Free' products for those few who would not get off the stuff.

Diclor keeps any spa sparkling. You have kids on alternating weeks, and that means you would need to add a tiny amount after every use when they are not there, and a much larger amount after soaking with them.

Measure with an actual measuring device, not 'capfuls.' You will need to determine your chlorine needs as you go, and that meas testing daily for awhile. Most of our customers got great results and built an easy habit - but you MUST add some dichlor after every single use. Leave the lid up and jets on for ten minutes or so after you add dichlor, it will diffuse the odor and make it so there is very little dichlor left in the tub the next time you come to use it.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:21:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42