What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Swim Spa  (Read 9528 times)

jdretired44

Swim Spa
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:59:05 am »
Looking for a swim spa; I like the warranty that Therma Spa. They have a show room in Tampa, FL absolutly beautiful and functional.  However, I have not seen many reviews about their product. Would like to hear from owners about their experiences and recommendations.  Also, if there is a web site besides company website, that offers pros and cons about swim spas.

thanks,
Jean

Hot Tub Forum

Swim Spa
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:59:05 am »

Pathfinder

Re: Swim Spa
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:48:51 am »
I have sold and serviced  swim spas for Hydropool and Cal Spas  Both are built with good quality  I have never seen a thermo spa one though   The hydropool swim spa comes in 2 lengths  and pretty basic  But they have quite a few sports teams using them like the NY Rangers have them in MSG.  The Ultimate line from Cal has 3 different models to choose  thought the SKS47 is the best I have seen so far with the separate spa section.   It would be worth while to check out other brands first

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:49:28 am »
I have considerable experience with swim spas even though I don't own one presently.   My kids were competitive swimmers from about age 8, through high school.  Swim spas are serious business.  The best one, by far, is the Endless Pool.  Frankly they are so much better to swim in than anything else on the market that it is not even funny.  If you really want to swim for fitness and your are athletic, this is the only serious choice.

The problem with the Endless is getting it installed properly.  Call Endless and they will send you their video and brochures.  Ask them for a recommendation for an installer near you.  The last time I checked the Endless pool cost about $16,000 and install was another $8,000 to $10,000 depending on the amount of site prep required.  This was for outdoor install with unrestricted access.  You need to check out the installer to be sure they are licensed and bonded and have a good reputation for on time, on budget installs with no problems.  Again, install is THE KEY with Endless Pools.  Even though the company hype would have you believe this is an easy DIY project, that is not true.

If you can do it, swim in the things.  I know that is easier said than done, but really a good idea.  I would actually travel to try one before buying.  This is a big investment.  Endless may have a happy customer near you and they can help arrange a trial.

Regards,

Bill

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:25:27 pm »
Dimension One has a quality offering of swim spas.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:14:31 pm »
Personally, I don't care for the Endless swim spa. It's also priced extremely high! I find the swim tank itself to be limited with the extra seating in most models.

I find the swim current in the Hydropool to be less turbulent but this is no different than a spa...it's subjective.

As Bill suggested, a swim will make all the difference in the world and allow you to decide the correct swim spa for your application.

http:// http://www.hydropoolhottubs.com/en/swimSpas/aquatrainer.cfm

Steve
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:16:00 pm by Steve »

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:58:38 pm »
Sun Belt Spas makes a nice swim spa.  

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 04:57:28 pm »
Steve,

"I find the swim current in the Hydropool to be less turbulent"

I think we have exchanged views on swimming spas before.  I would probably agree with you that a Hydropool or a D1 for that matter could be viewed as somehow "less turbulent" than an Endless pool.  Or at least I would agree that the water flow in them is lower.  I put "less turbulent" in quotes, however, because the flow in the Endless is more of a fast current and really doesn't have much turbulence.  In fact the flow is quite smooth for the swimmer.

No doubt there are swim spas that would provide sufficient swim capability for the casual or non-competitive swimmer.  Unlike other kinds of spas, which offer comfort and relaxation and where ergonomics are most important, a swim spa that can provide an athletic workout to a competitive swimmer is not the same animal. The Endless is the only one out there that can keep up with and is used by collegiate and Olympic level athletes.  
As I recall the Hydropool is used for therapy by some sports teams and I am sure it is fine for that.  If the priority is swimming, then it is not the best option.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:00:35 pm by Bill_Stevenson »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:42:08 am »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

sahesson

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 01:25:23 am »
I guess I would expect a Hotsprings dealer to say that about a Sunbelt Spa. Sunbelt spas are built like a tank and the warranty can't be beat.

Steve

Ca Hot Spas >:(

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 11:26:03 am »
I guess I would expect a Hotsprings dealer to say that about a Sunbelt Spa. Sunbelt spas are built like a tank and the warranty can't be beat.

Steve

Ca Hot Spas >:(

Any company that claims the number of jets increases the therapy or labels suction fittings as foot massage jets is shady in my book.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 11:26:32 am »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 12:44:27 pm »
I like the Tri-X filters laying next to it.

Nice touch.

morecowbell

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:58:46 pm »
This swim spa is incredible but it will cost you as much as an entry level In ground pool.

http://www.h2xswimspa.com/

sahesson

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 08:27:55 pm »
  Come on you really think that is a Sunbelt Spa that looks like a phoenix, Sunbelt have never used that type of filtration system,real wood siding, wood frames or a wood bottom. Whoops I just described a Hotsprings spa but take off the bottom because there is none.

Steve
                           Ca Hot Spas, Sunbelt Spas Dist. ;D

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 02:20:24 am »
No doubt there are swim spas that would provide sufficient swim capability for the casual or non-competitive swimmer.  Unlike other kinds of spas, which offer comfort and relaxation and where ergonomics are most important, a swim spa that can provide an athletic workout to a competitive swimmer is not the same animal. The Endless is the only one out there that can keep up with and is used by collegiate and Olympic level athletes.  
As I recall the Hydropool is used for therapy by some sports teams and I am sure it is fine for that.  If the priority is swimming, then it is not the best option.

Regards,

Bill

The Endless is the only one out there that can keep up with and is used by collegiate and Olympic level athletes.  

[size=22]100% absolutely incorrect....[/size]

You bet we've gone down this road before my friend! You know I respect your opinion BUT you are way wrong here and it's either from lack of knowledge on the Hydropool product (which is fine) or just a total misconception on what a swim spa is designed to do for the end user...

I've heard some (with all brands) mention the lack of flow or speed of the current for an advanced athlete. Here's the reality... I will put up 1 years salary if a trained, Olympic athlete could outswim the current after 5 minutes. This isn't a freaking race and it's not what ANY manufacturer is trying to offer including Endless. Yes, Hydropool is sold to and promoted by Olympic athletes and there's testimonials on the DVD of such, so to insinuate that that they're more for "playing around in" (my words not yours) is just absurd!

Have you ever swam in a Hydropool? Can you out swim the current? I'm a very powerful swimmer though far from what we would consider an "athlete" by any means though I represent the demographics of most swim spa buyers. I can tell you personally that I can not outswim the current after about 30 seconds in there and I doubt you nor anyone of the people reading this could.

It's all in the understanding of how the product is MEANT to be used and I think your perception is slightly, if not immensely skewed.  ;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 02:20:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42