What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New-to-us D1 Amore Bay  (Read 5333 times)

IanHappy

New-to-us D1 Amore Bay
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »
Hi All  :)

We've just bought a used (2007/8) D1 Amore Bay and have been loving it! We would have preferred to buy new, however our budget wouldn't stretch very far and we thought it would be better to get a quality 2nd-hand model than compromise and get something that wouldn't last or meet our needs. We used it for the first time last night and had such a good time; it was such a relaxing and therapeutic experience, and I can see it having a very beneficial effect on family life.

We do have a couple of teething troubles though, and don't have the luxury of dealer support to call on. When I first switched it on after filling it, there was a warning message saying "Low Flow Error (FLO) - Check Water Level - Clean Filters". I did both of those as per the user manual, and ran the pumps with the bleeder valves open for a while (again as per the start-up instructions in the manual). All was well after that, however tonight the same warning has re-appeared  :(.

Any thoughts on what it might be? I will call an engineer out if required, just wondered if anyone else had any suggestions first.

Thanks very much,
Ian

Hot Tub Forum

New-to-us D1 Amore Bay
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »

Topline Mike

Re: New-to-us D1 Amore Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:50 pm »
I bought a used tub myself about 1 1/2 months ago.  One of the first things I bought were new filters.  This might sound bad, but all the scum from the previous owners is caked on the filters you are using now.  You should get yourself some new ones asap, which might also solve your error on the tub.  I bought unicel filters. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:39 pm »
Try running it without the filters in there most of the time this fixes the problem. If it does replace the filters with new ones. Like mike said I would replace them either way. Who knows what went on in that tub before you bought it

IanHappy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:03:30 am »
Thanks for the suggestions both, and, er, ewww...

Good points, I will indeed get new filters, and will try running it without to see if that is the issue.

The tub isn't heating the water at the moment, I'm guessing that is a safety measure due to the error - if it thinks water isn't circulating through the system properly it doesn't want to risk switching the heater on.

Thanks again  :)
Ian

IanHappy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:03:59 am »
Quick update...still not working...

I've tried everything suggested, both by peeps on here and by a local ex-D1 dealer. They said it may be a faulty flow switch since it did work briefly for a day or so. The error did clear for about 30 seconds yesterday, enough time for the tub to start heating again, but then it came back  :(.

So, is it easy to swap out the flow switch? I'm guessing you need to drain the tub?

On a sort-of-related note, why are things so much more expensive here in the UK?!? For example, a new ozone assembly would be $255 in the US, but is ~$843 (£509) in the UK!!! Am I right that they are slightly different (to take different electrics into account)? If not it would be much cheaper to buy from the US, even with postage and import taxes.

I'm beginning to think this will be an expensive restoration to bring it back to its former amorous glory; there are other issues that I discovered last night, will post more when I'm at home.

Thanks all,
Ian

Chartreux

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:47:42 am »
Sorry your having so many issues with your tub. Yes just get the part from the U.S. and see if switching it out might help. If you can do that. Hope this part helps keep us posted...

IanHappy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:55:33 am »
Thanks Chartreux, yes it is a little frustrating not being able to use it but I think it will feel a lot more relaxing and satisfying when we finally do get to use it for the first time  :)

The other issues are niggly more than anything, they do point to a lack of care by a previous owner though.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a nice piccie in the 'Show us your Hot Tub' section soon!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 05:36:22 pm »
Quick update...still not working...

I've tried everything suggested, both by peeps on here and by a local ex-D1 dealer. They said it may be a faulty flow switch since it did work briefly for a day or so. The error did clear for about 30 seconds yesterday, enough time for the tub to start heating again, but then it came back  :(.

So, is it easy to swap out the flow switch? I'm guessing you need to drain the tub?

On a sort-of-related note, why are things so much more expensive here in the UK?!? For example, a new ozone assembly would be $255 in the US, but is ~$843 (£509) in the UK!!! Am I right that they are slightly different (to take different electrics into account)? If not it would be much cheaper to buy from the US, even with postage and import taxes.

I'm beginning to think this will be an expensive restoration to bring it back to its former amorous glory; there are other issues that I discovered last night, will post more when I'm at home.

Thanks all,
Ian

Before you buy a part from the US make sure it's compatable with your spa.  A lot of times the exported tubs have different set ups and different voltage going to different things

IanHappy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:14 am »
Thanks Hottubguy, good point. I have asked Dimension One to confirm before I place any orders.

Below is one of the things I found on Monday; mildew/mould on the lining paper behind one of the panels, and displaced insulation. The surface was dry so I'm hoping it is an old leak that has been repaired but not tidied up properly. I'm monitoring it now for further leaks.

The other issues seem to be fairly minor; missing metal filter basket in the UltraPure+ filter screen, missing cover on the electrics panel, some slightly bent screws on the cabinet panels, some peripheral cabinet lights not working/cables broken. I'm just wondering what else might materialise; it doesn't seem like the tub has been looked after very well at all.

Oh well, at least it's giving me another project to get stuck into!

Chartreux

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:32 am »
That does not look good, how much would that costs you to replace? Might just be worth having a repair guy out to replace that foam if possible...that mold/mildew could continue to grow...hopefully someone can help you...

IanHappy

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:10 pm »
Progress report - it's working  ;D

I followed the above advice and some very helpful pointers from D1Dennis2009, and it seems there was an airlock somewhere in the system. Using a hosepipe to push water back through the bleeder valves has seemed to clear it, and we had a very pleasant evening watching the sky change colour and the moon silhouette the trees.

Chartreux I think you're right, the mould does need sorting. I'm fairly sure there is a small leak in that area which only appears when pump 3 is on; I'm trying to arrange for an engineer to visit.

Will report back on what he says/how much it costs  :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42