What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Negotiating price?  (Read 5164 times)

H2OTub

Negotiating price?
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum and looking for a hot tub for over a month now.  Was looking at used tubs, but the moving would be the hard part for me....don't know enough people. ;)

Anyway, I looked at a Hot Spot Tempo today, a 2013 model.  It is on clearance for $5500 +tax. Not a floor model...just left over. Includes cover & lift, breaker box, starter chem kit, steps, and delivery.  NO ozone system. 

Was wondering if this is a good price, and if buying a hot tub is really like buying a car.  Is negotiating the price an accepted thing by dealers?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hot Tub Forum

Negotiating price?
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »

clover

Re: Negotiating price?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:15:43 pm »
Negotiations become a meeting of the minds.  The seller quotes a price; some will counter with an offer.  Now your question becomes pertinent.  Yes, it takes place.  However it is back to the meeting of the minds, are you able and willing to pay the quoted price?  Even if you are, and you want to know the answer to your question, make them an offer they shouldn't refuse and be ready to walk.

This becomes a sale, or no sale, and it happens every day.  In reality, one does not want to pay more than the "other guy", but how does he know?  The dealer wants to sell and the buyer is interested in buying a tub. 

In this case, let them know you will buy right now IF they include the taxes in the $5,500, or include something that is not included like the ozonator.  Check their reaction, and hold your cards close to the chest.

Best advice is to pull your check book out, or come prepared with a pocket of cash.  When you make your offer, be ready to visibly be prepared to consume the deal.  They want to sell, the question is, are they willing to let you walk out with money in your pocket.

It is up to you to determine if that is their best price, otherwise, your still shopping.

Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

H2OTub

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:40:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply clover.  I'll try the "include the sales tax" approach...$5500 sounds a lot better to me than almost $6k with the tax.

Guess it never hurts to ask either.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum and looking for a hot tub for over a month now.  Was looking at used tubs, but the moving would be the hard part for me....don't know enough people. ;)

Anyway, I looked at a Hot Spot Tempo today, a 2013 model.  It is on clearance for $5500 +tax. Not a floor model...just left over. Includes cover & lift, breaker box, starter chem kit, steps, and delivery.  NO ozone system. 

Was wondering if this is a good price, and if buying a hot tub is really like buying a car.  Is negotiating the price an accepted thing by dealers?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Often times a dealer might give a sales price and leave room for negotiation. Still other times they may be selling a spa they want to move and rather than dance around may give a very good price with little room left. There is no way for us to know fully (though a dealer selling that model can give you an idea maybe) but in the end, either way it doesn't hurt to counter. The worst thing they can say is "no, that's really our bottom line price".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »
You can haggle.  However, this is a really low price.  We sell Relays (smaller than Tempo) for more without the step and lift..
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:27 pm »
One dealer I talked to came down $3Gs in 5 minutes, and the next guy had his bottom dollar written on the sign.  Every dealer will use their own sales technique, you just need to talk.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »
One dealer I talked to came down $3Gs in 5 minutes, and the next guy had his bottom dollar written on the sign.  Every dealer will use their own sales technique, you just need to talk.

This.  Some dealers don't like to play the used car game and really give you a fair price up front.  Some companies like to start with a really high price so that they can make you feel like you are getting an amazing deal.  Everybody wants to feel like they got a good deal.  This is how the traveling master spa shows operate.  In my experience, if they tell you that you are saving thousands, it's probably just an artificially inflated price to begin with. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »
As a purchaser negotiation is a learned thing that requires confidence and knowledge of the product your eye balling. Same as sales. Its always better if you take your time and look and learn. Test soak a few if you can. Get into the process and get what "FEELS" best. 5-8 grand is a lot of money. Or more? Find someone you like. Make them feel like your an interested buyer with money, get them talking 5 grand first.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42