What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Tahitian Leak  (Read 3942 times)

kguarnotta

Caldera Tahitian Leak
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »
I've recently purchased a home with a 2003 Caldera Tahitian Hot Tub.

Ever since we bought the place I have been trying to address the tub, from poorly working valves, missing parts, leaking pressure valve.

Anyway, I thought I had addressed the issues, and thought I had gotten the leak - at the pressure switch. Unfortunately there is another leak. I have taken the sides off, and see a lot of black mold - around the foam, and I think the leak is somewhere in the foam.

My general question at this point - if the leak is in the foam, any suggestions on how to address it. Do I just need to dig all the foam out, until I find a leak? Is it worth it? Anyone ever tackled this project? It seems like it would be a nightmare to do it.

Any suggestions on tackling this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Tahitian Leak
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Caldera Tahitian Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:20:44 pm »
IF your leak is not in the equipment bay. Fill the tub up and turn it on and get it hot. (Optional) Pour in red of blue food coloring die and let it leak down for a bit. Go to where there is water/wet/colored foam. May have to tip it on it's side to get a good angle on the leak. Once you know where it leaks down to you also get direction to a leaks height. Sides off may be enough if the leak is high. I use a hot knife to slice out chunks of foam whenever possible but hands, screw driver, putty knife, wood chisel, small pry bar there are a lot of options to digging foam. I keep an arsenal of all the above plus files, sand cloth and sand paper 100G. Get you leaking joint clean as can be at the mating surfaces. Have a/some garbage bags ready to put foam in. Some can be reused if need be.

Might involve adding pipe so be prepared to do so. Pipe and most fittings, glue and cleaner are available at a hardware/big box store chain.

Monitor the equipment bay very closely. Most leaks are close as the majority of your plumbing is close.
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:47 pm »
Forgot to mention. It's not easy the first time. Take your time don't get frustrated. After you do it a few times it gets easier until a good tech can do it very quickly.

Blocking the tub up is and option to help facilitate the leaks location. But this is tricky and should only be done by a higher skilled do it yourselfer.
Retired

kguarnotta

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:41 am »
Thanks. I'll try the food dye, and I have a jabsaw for cutting drywall, I imagine that might work well for cutting out foam.

And yes, it is not in the equipment bay - there was a leak there at the pressure switch- but I fixed that.

The foam on the opposite side of the tub is wet, and it looks like the leak is pretty old, as it is covered in a black mold, and the inside of the side cover is coated in black mold. This is on another side as well, but the highest point of the mold/evidence of leak is on the side opposite the equipment bay.

I am thinking the leak is probably near one of the jets, so I need to dig down until I get to the ports on the side of the tub. As far as tipping the tub, I don't imagine that is an option when the tub is full of water, or even when it is empty -isn't it pretty heavy?

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:34 am »
Good luck with your leak.
In my experience, some are easy to locate and fix, some are a pita.

This link may help you out a bit-
http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/spa-leaks.htm

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »
2 guys can tip a tub if they have the tools and experience. I've used a johnson bar some blocks and a high lift jack to get a tub up enough for one person to tip it but it's better with 2.
Retired

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:06:30 pm »
Ha.  A tub that's been leaking through closed cell foam.  Two people?  Good luck!  Ask for the mesh for sealing your hernia rather than stitching.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:06:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42