What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maax Elite or HS Grandee?  (Read 5337 times)

GGRANDEE

Maax Elite or HS Grandee?
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:01 am »
Bought my Grandee last fall and already have a small leak around large light under the cool-down seat. ;( Don't know if HS will resolve as dealer tech stated it was rare and a production defect that may be difficult to fix. Meanwhile, a buddy purchased a top-of -the-line Maax Elite tub with all bells and whistles. Nice tub!! Now, he's smirking when I was pushing Hot Springs. Is there really a difference in quality between the two??  ::)

Hot Tub Forum

Maax Elite or HS Grandee?
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:01 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Maax Elite or HS Grandee?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:36:49 pm »
Hot Springs is indeed  a good brand with a good reputation, but there isn't a model out there sold that has been 100% perfect for everyone.   Let us know how this works out for you.

I've seen a few MAAX spas, but can't comment on them or their quality.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chartreux

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:58 pm »
Try working with your dealer to see if you can get a replacement. From ratings the Hot Springs is supposed to be better than the Maax...But work with your dealer in getting this resolved.

Nazz26

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:38 pm »
From what I have heard that is a common problem on the Grandee.  That is the entry and exit step on the tub so there will be heavy foot traffic on that part of the tub which in return will weaken the light and it's gasket placed under the cool down seat.   I'm sure hot springs knows about that problem and will work with you to resolve the issue. 

dunecritter

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:46:04 pm »
I currently own both a new 2014 Grandee and had a 2013 Grandee and to make that list longer I owned a HS Vista for 7 years before the Grandee. (The same size tub as grandee but has a lounge) I also own a MAAX spa in a rental home that a friend rents from me. I've owned the MAAX for many years as well and its still running but has had several repairs over the years (Leaks, Pump failures, 2 heaters) The tub's metal frame is just about rusted to the point that it will not get any more repairs and I will replace it with a HS product when that time comes. I have not had any repairs on any of the three HS products as of yet and that's really not fair to say as I've only owned the Grandee's for a short period of time but 7 years on the Vista I was very happy with.
The MAAX was a lesser expensive tub that has provided me with decent service and I really have no complaints about it as per the price I paid other than the water filtration seriously lacked compared to a High Life HS Grandee. I personally think that there is a very large difference in quality between the two and in a few years I'm pretty sure that the difference in quality will bear its ugly head. But value for dollar sets them apart.
As far as the leak around the light? I havn't experienced any myself nor have I been aware of any that needed service from what we have sold. Regardless...Let the HS servicing dealer repair it and go from there. I gotta admit that It sucks having a new top of the line product needing service so soon but It's not unheard of and nothing is 100% free of a defect.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:27:57 pm »
You will be able to see the difference in 5-7 years and understand why the HS is better. The dealer will fix it. Or replace it. He has to if you bought new with warranty. Or used from him with warranty. Bite your tongue.
Retired

GGRANDEE

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:45:33 am »
Thank you to all who replied  :) I was a little uncertain being a first time and new HS owner but you all have put my fears to rest.. I purchased the Grandee in part because of all the expertise conveyed through this forum. My dealer is waiting for the part to fix the leak so I am pretty happy with their responsiveness and I love this tub..It may not have all the frills of the Elite but I bought the Grandee for quality-first. Again, Thanx.. :)

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »
I think you made a very good decision.
After the leak is fixed, you'll soon forget about it.

GGRANDEE

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:29:01 am »
You will be able to see the difference in 5-7 years and understand why the HS is better. The dealer will fix it. Or replace it. He has to if you bought new with warranty. Or used from him with warranty. Bite your tongue.

The dealer sent a couple of techs out to replace the light frame. After sawing and drilling they installed the new light and frame. Apparently the new part didn't fit just right  ??? and also left a few scratches on light lens along with a few shavings from the saw in the tub. Once I cleaned that,  I filled the tub, turned on the breakers and wha-la , the blue light indicated power to the tub but the control panel was not illuminated nor working!  >:(  but ozonator was generating bubbles. To top it off, the tech set the front panel door against a patio chair and the wind blew it to the ground chipping 2 pieces off the door.
New access panel now on order. Suffice it to say, the wife is pretty pissed as the dream is now turning into a nightmare  :-\ Should I insist on a replacement? I get the feeling we're on a bad roll.
I feel the need to get all this documented from the dealer should more things go wrong in the future....Any thoughts or advice??

Chartreux

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:51:32 am »
Wow, at this point, I'd probably be mad enough to ask for a replacement. Yes, always document everything. Hope you can get the help from your dealer...

dunecritter

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »
GGrandee, I understand your frustration...First let me say that the service guy needs to use a little more common sense and take extra precautions and care when servicing a customers tub regardless what or how much $$ it is or worth...Second...I would recommend that you request the dealer to have the lense buffed out unless you can let it slip by as one could never see it under water when filled...I know that's not the point but it is reality...Go check the sub panel breakers and assure that you in fact have both breakers on as if it only has one on the tub will have that dog bone controller blue light lit up but not operate and will also not have the cabinet light illuminated.. If they are on..Try to reset the tub by tripping off both breakers and give it 20-30 seconds before turning them back on.. Turn them both back on and let us know if this has changed anything...If not its safe to assume that the tech just simply failed to hook up the controller...or something else is disconnected...If the cabinet light is on and everything looks to be working and there is no light on the controller what so ever...Its the controller that's simply unhooked...Poor service work and that's frustrating. Requesting a replacement at this point is pre mature and simply not really Hot Springs fault but simply the techs issue...The Dealer should step in and try to smooth things out within reason.

GGRANDEE

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
Thanx for the advice. I performed the breaker scenario you suggested and even went back to the Main Breaker Box. In fact, I tested it twice. 30 amp breaker first and then the 20. Same result.  I am sure they probably forgot to reconnect an electrical connection to get the tub up and running (fingers crossed).
I agree with you in trying to resolve it with the dealer, it just seems like things are starting to snow ball. This all started with a small leak!! Spoke with the dealer today, stated a tech would be right out to my place, no one has shown up yet. Asked if new access door was on order, no one was aware of an access door order being placed.   Praying this will be last service call for at least 10 years.  :)

dunecritter

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »
The access door will most likely not be replaced but repaired.. The slats can be replaced in individual sections of two slats per piece. I'm sure its just the topside controller being unhooked or possibly a bad connection with the amount of work that was done in the motor bay area. You bought a good product so rest assure that things will get handled...Might require just a tad bit of micro managing on your behalf depending on the service agent or dealer but should be a sunny day again soon.

GGRANDEE

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:16 am »
Well, after a few phone calls, the dealer stepped up and resolved my issues. I am now back to living the dream :) A little frustrating, but we are all good for now. Thanx again to all those who replied to my post. Now, off for a soak  :) :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42