What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cover quality  (Read 7263 times)

observer

cover quality
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:33:22 am »
I'm looking for advice on hot tub covers.  My hot tub is outdoors (no shelter).  A bit of snow where I live but a LOT of rain.

I replace my cover every 2 years for about 5-600 dollars; this seems exhorbitant.

No sunlight problem because I never have a cover long enough to have any sun damage.
One problem is that the covers allow rain to enter and overflow the tub; do there exist watertight covers?
Also there are birds who peck at the cover and make holes; every hole grows huge in a few weeks and looks awful.

Where can I find a good cover?  Should resist rain, have a thick layer to resist birds.  The websites never give enough information on the composition of the cover.  Also the WEIGHT is important: they should tell me the weight so I can decide if I can lift the cover or I need a lift device. 

Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

cover quality
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:33:22 am »

rosewoodsteel

Re: cover quality
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »
Hi Observer,

What tub do you own, where do you live and what brand covers are you using?
I just picked up a "cover" for my cover.  I had problems with sap and tulip poplar "flowers" dropping on my old Coleman spa and getting the cover dirty/sappy.  So, with my new Artic Klondiker, I decided to get a cover to protect the cover.  It cost around $60 and I'll be putting it on, tomorrow. If the birds attack it, it is a lot cheaper to replace than the insulated cover. :)   

red2play

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 05:25:13 pm »
I'm not the expert in this forum but I think I've seen a couple of cool covers.

http://www.sterlingcovana.com/prod-c3.html

http://www.strongspas.com/features/titan-hardcovers.html

GGRANDEE

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:42:21 pm »
The Cover Store at coverstore.com has a number of very good covers that will add years to your hard cover. :)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:21:09 pm »
Maybe look at getting a smart top from leisure concepts. They are expensive but should last 10 years plus

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:24:19 am »
But remember with hard covers like the smart top and the other plastic one from strong you give up almost all of your insulating ability of your cover.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:12 am »
Do you know this for a fact tman?  Have you seen a smart top in person?  They claim to be as energy efficient as a regular cover. I have wondered about that with the smart top myself.

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 11:10:59 am »
Hi Observer,

What tub do you own, where do you live and what brand covers are you using?
I just picked up a "cover" for my cover.  I had problems with sap and tulip poplar "flowers" dropping on my old Coleman spa and getting the cover dirty/sappy.  So, with my new Artic Klondiker, I decided to get a cover to protect the cover.  It cost around $60 and I'll be putting it on, tomorrow. If the birds attack it, it is a lot cheaper to replace than the insulated cover. :)   

Rosewood, what cover for the cover did you get? That is pretty reasonable for $60. Just curious so maybe I can recommend that to others in the future if you are happy with it.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

clover

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »
Observer, tell us about the covers you have bought, internet? dealer? cost?

When ordering a cover, there are things you should include which will increase cost, and are commonly neglected when consumers order, i.e. double wrap, heat sealed foam insert cores.

When using a cover, there  are thing you shouldn't do.

Birds are pecking holes in the cover?  Can you see or feel the foam insert?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 04:59:24 pm »

[/quote] Rosewood, what cover for the cover did you get? That is pretty reasonable for $60. Just curious so maybe I can recommend that to others in the future if you are happy with it.
[/quote]

Water Boy,
I picked it up on Amazon for $62 and some change.   Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEUT80/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »
Just to add, my total price was $62.11.   That including shipping.   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:05:53 pm »
Do you know this for a fact tman?  Have you seen a smart top in person?  They claim to be as energy efficient as a regular cover. I have wondered about that with the smart top myself.

It's pretty logical to speculate that 1/2" of foam will insulate 1/5th as good as 3 inches of foam.
Retired

Hottubprosne

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
We have sold the smart top and this winter we had to go out and work on the tub. the smart top had no noticeable heat loss or steam loss. I am not saying that it insulates as well as a 6 inch cover but i have had some thin covers before and did notice any usage change after a certain point it is just over kill. Case in point Watkins covers are fairly thin from the factory and they work great.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »
What is considered "noticeable heat loss"?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »
Here in Northern Minnesota 6" of foam insulates better than 3" and 3" better than 1/2" Might be different where you live? We build our walls out of 2x6's rather than 2x4's so we can get more insulation in our walls. And we put 24'-36" in our attics.

Following the logic of a 1/2" is enough, I wonder why we do this?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42