What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Warranty  (Read 3463 times)

Quickbeam

Marquis Warranty
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »
We will be first time spa buyers, and some of the brands we are interested in are Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Bull Frog. I noticed on the Marquis warranty that they specifically exclude any leaks from seals or gaskets. I checked the other brands and while they do not specifically exclude these items, I'm not sure from reading their warranties if seals and gaskets are included in the warranty. In any case, if there was a leak, wouldn't the seal or the gasket be the most likely first place to develop a leak? Has this been a problem for anyone who has owned a Marquis?

We are going to be placing the tub in a corner on a roof deck, so reliability is pretty important to me. I am very interested in Marquis, but was a little put off by this clause in their warranty. Is there any reason for me to be concerned? Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Warranty
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »

meriflower

Re: Marquis Warranty
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »
I can answer the question for anyone who has owned a Marquis.  I had owned Marquis for 10 years (2003 Euphoria and then 2006 Epic). and during my years of ownership I NEVER had one leak whatsoever.  I'm very diligent with maintenance and keeping my water chemistry at proper levels such as the PH and do believe in doing those things helps my spa and its parts to last.  The only thing I noticed that changed from when I bought my Marquis and their warranty now is that their warranty now is no longer transferrable. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:04:43 pm »
I could be wrong but I don't think any manufacturer warranties seals and gaskets.  While it doesn't say that it's not covered in Jacuzzi or hot springs it also doesn't say it is covered.  Hopefully Jacuzzi Jim or Chas will pop in to better answer that question. The reason it's not covered because the main reason for these items to fail is user driven.  Specifically poor water chemistry.  I've sold a fair share of marquis tubs and haven't noticed any issues with this 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »
Pump seals are so susceptible to poor maintenance issues that they are not covered for very long by most manufacturers. Jet gaskets on the other hand i am a little surprised by this. I used to hold Marquis in pretty high regard and may have to change that.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:52:26 pm »
I didn't think of jet gaskets was more thinking heater gaskets.  Will check with my rep to get clarification.  I'm wondering if any other tub warranties that?  Any rubber gasket would be suspectible to poor water chemistry though so It wouldnt surprise me

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:51 am »
This is a pretty minor thing in my opinion.  A pump seal is a $30-45 part if it were to ever go bad. Heater gaskets are $1-2. Usually if they go bad it's caused by bad water chemistry or use of improper chemicals. 

Quickbeam

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:25:14 am »
O.K. guys, I guess I shouldn't have brought this up. I have never owned a hot tub and don't know a lot about the mechanics. I am just now getting into the market to purchase one and am trying to learn. A warranty is pretty important to me and I saw something on the Marquis warranty that was specifically excluded and could not see it addressed in the other warranties. That's why I brought it up, but if it is not something to be concerned about, well, at the very least I've learned something. Thanks for all the replies.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »
It is rather interesting/unusual. Most warranties just say they won't cover damage caused by improper chemical balance. Hence, they wouldn't cover gasket failure anyways (there really isn't anything else that would cause a gasket to fail). Apparently Marquis goes one step further and lists/excludes the components that could ONLY fail due to improper chemical balance....though they neglect to fully explain this.

I would imagine this is because they (like everyone else), want the printed warranty to fit on a single page, and they try to keep it as simple as possible so as not to potentially confuse folks.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Sam

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:06 pm »
From my experience with Bullfrog, they would absolutely cover a gasket or seal leak.  They don't tend to ask questions.  I know I sound like a broken record, but their customer service is absolutely impeccable.  I've seen them cover things that I thought nobody would.  We had a customer who wired his own tub and used aluminum wire, even though it says in a million places not to.  Suffice it to say, there was an issue.  We explained to Bullfrog the situation just to see if they would help in some way.  They covered the entire thing.  This is just one example out of many similar instances. 

I'll put down the coolaid now.... :P

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42