What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Insulating wooden tubs?  (Read 2585 times)

fishnaked

Insulating wooden tubs?
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:31 am »
My first thought is that wrapping a wood tub with rigid foam will cause moisture to become trapped between the wood and foam thus causing the wood to rapidly deteriorate.

So, I'd be inclined to space that insulation away from the tub about 1/2" so there was a continuous air space between tub and insulation. However, if air is allowed to move, you lose insulative value, negating the reason the insulation is installed. However, a tub insulated in this manner would surely still be better than no additional insulation at all. I just wonder if the benefits would be worth the time, effort, and expense.

Anyone done this or have thoughts?

(by the way, the insulation would be covered by a cedar enclosure for protection and esthetics)

Hot Tub Forum

Insulating wooden tubs?
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:31 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Insulating wooden tubs?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:27:42 pm »
You're quite correct. The outside of the wood needs to breath, otherwise rot will begin.

I actually have a customer doing exactly what you're describing right now...waiting on pictures. He's spacing the insulation a bit further though. Taking 1x2 and screwing it to the side of the tub, then wrapping two layers of 3/4" thick, rigid insulation around and attaching it to the 1x2 (the 1x2's protrude from the tub the 2", and the 3/4" thick insulation was the thickest he figured will bend easily without possibly breaking.). When complete, he'll be heating the tub, plus the 2" air space around it. I thought the whole idea was quite imaginative and should work extremely well. In the past I'd always suggested boxing in the tub, and then insulating that box. This way though, is a lot easier to to do, less work, and less cost of materials.

I imagine the finished project to look something like this;

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

fishnaked

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:56:25 pm »
Thanks! Would love to see the pics when you get them...if you have time to post them.

Also, I left a message for you. Looking forward to talking.

rusty

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
Depending upon where you live, and how cold it is there, you might be good just insulating all the plumbing. That is a huge heat loss on most traditional wood tubs.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »
You would have to make accommodations for the condensation/sweat collected on the outside of the tub wood. It would have to drain good. That is a very nice setup there. Wow.

Even if it did cost a bit more in a cold climate it would be worth it for the relaxing aesthetics.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:48:39 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42