What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to cut a hot tub cover  (Read 3558 times)

Terry Action

How to cut a hot tub cover
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »
Below is a stock image of my hot tub, a portable Voyager Spa. As you can see, although it is perfectly round (6 feet), a standard round cover won't fit because the filter is inside and protrudes out. It come with a cheap, inflatable cover, which offers terrible insulation. Long story short, I've come across a good, used round 6 foot cover for $50.

Now, I can carefully cut a small corner without too much difficulty, but then what? Tape the exposed foam? Obviously, it can't get wet. What kind of tape, if any at all? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hot Tub Forum

How to cut a hot tub cover
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

Spoiledrotten

Re: How to cut a hot tub cover
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:02:37 pm »
Someone indicated on another thread that you can get some kind of moisture barrier tape at the Home Depot, Lowes type stores. That might work for you. It's like duct tape for has another name. I believe it is called "TUCK TAPE".
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:43 am »
It is important that the sheet plastic which wraps the foam board stay water-tight, even air-tight if possible. I have used heavy-duty packing tape, clear, to heal punctures and tears in this vapor barrier with good results. I get mine from Uline.com, but you could shop locally. Just be sure it is better quality tape, and that the surface you are applying it to is completely clean and dry.

As to the vinyl outer encasement, don't use duct tape of any kind: it will fail very quickly. Stitching is best, but you can also simply cut it, fold it under and tuck it in - the inner vapor barrier is what really matters, and what must be protected from sun and abrasion.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42