What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Enormous leak after purchasing a used hot tub!  (Read 28022 times)

Mike32110

Re: Enormous leak after purchasing a used hot tub!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »
ALSO: When I say a third of the level of the suction, I mean the water level is 1/3rd up the suction opening. I found this interesting since I figured it would drain out through the entire suction tubing?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »

Mike32110

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »
Here's a picture of the tub that I have: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=beachcomber+580&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1T4ADFA_enCA483CA485&biw=1280&bih=791&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=NGJr2eq_kPsk_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.nassaupoolsandspas.com/hottubs.html&docid=J0p8C2phZZBVsM&imgurl=http://www.nassaupoolsandspas.com/images/beachcomber_580sml.jpg&w=200&h=200&ei=wvQKULqiNMmvqQH9oMGeCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=554&vpy=165&dur=297&hovh=160&hovw=160&tx=59&ty=95&sig=102852928735508696608&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=130&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:79

And here's a ms paint picture I made of my issue: This shows the suction drain where the water stopps leaking. The black pathway is what I am assuming the tub would have to be designed in order for my hypothesis to be correct (that the main return line from the main suction is leaking). However, logically I would think the main suction return would follow the red path. The blue spray shows the location of the leak with respect to everything else. I hope this helps.

You guys have been an amazing help so far, thanks again.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 09:48:46 am »
I think you might get a lot out of a visit by a pro. Talk to friends/relatives, or local dealers to get the name of an independent repair guy. Call him/her and ask if they are afraid of helping you find the leak, and then help steer you in the direction of fixing it yourself. If you get all that clear up front, you will weed out those who just want to come, glance and go - also those who want to talk you into spending thousands to get it all taken care of.

If you get someone out who had done this type of repair, they can be a real resource. First of all they will calm your fears ( I hope). Of course, if there is any chance of this being beyond help, they should be able to let you know and it will have been the best money you could every have spent. But these things rarely are that way - they will most likely poke around and make suggestions on how to prop it up, which way to start, what is most likely leaking, etc. Then they can save you a great deal of time and frustration by hopefully point you in the right direction before you dig out foam.

Also, you can ask them other questions about running it once it's fixed, and they can look at pumps, valves and other parts in the equipment box to see if there will be anything likely to need attention once you have it running and heating.

These things are just plastic with plastic plumbing, and I have fixed some with amazing leaks - admittedly, I don't get freeze damage here in California, but over the years I have successfully fixed plenty of leaky tubs damaged by rodents, cracked fittings, bad repairs by previous owners and other repairmen, etc. One way or another, I'm sure you'll be soaking in this thing and looking back with a smile.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sorebikr

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54:47 am »
I'm not sure if there's an official way to post pics here, but you could always use a site like http://imgur.com/ to share what's going on.  Really easy to create and share an album.

Mike32110

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »
Hey, I have some GREAT news! I opened up about 8 pannels on the side and tore through the foam with my hands, and found the leak in about 30 seconds. It's a huge crack in the metal piece and the ceramic piece that it was attached to. The metal tube goes up the side of the tub and has a bunch of hoses attached to it, but the metal pipe doesn't seem to go anywhere, so I tihnk it's the main artery for the tubes that extend to the jets. I'll add some pictures a bit later on, but it sounds like it's apretty cheap fix from here on in, eh? I'm thinking it'd be like 2-400$ for a plumber. Thanks guys!

Mike32110

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 06:12:38 pm »
So here's an unfortuante update. I got the leak fixed by a repair guy, it only cost 125 with labour, so I was happy with that. I filled up the tub and noticed water pooling near the same spot as last time, as well as on the sides. The old leak seems like it is fixed. It looks like there are at least 2-3 more leaks based on the pooling of the water. My plan is to do this: Remove the entire skrit, pull the tub away from my deck, remove all of the foam insulation, until I expose everything and can determine ALL of the leaks. Then I will buy a foam sprayer, refoam it, and buy a new skirt to go around the tub. It's 10 years old so it can probably handle a new skirt. Is this the best idea?

johnhager

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 04:45:43 am »
The view is breathtaking and you want the home, but a prudent inspection of the plumbing system can affect how much you want it or how much you should be willing to offer for purchase. In addition to the normal checks needed to explore the condition of the plumbing system, the salt water and humidity that comes in tandem with beachfront property introduces a whole new set of possible problems.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:03:23 am by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 04:45:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42