What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mineral build-up in pipes?  (Read 3029 times)

Gingercat

Mineral build-up in pipes?
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
We have a Bullfrog A8L hot tub. Bullfrog is the one with the "jet packs" so you can customize where the jets are. This is cool, but results in a lot of piping in the system. We also have hard water. We are running a bromine system. The problem we are having is even if I drain the hot tub and clean it out thoroughly, when I start it up again I get these nasty filmy things floating all over.  What I think is happening is that the pipes I can't access have some kind of deposits in them and when I refill the clean tub these get washed out into the water. Can anyone suggest a way to "deep clean" the pipes as well? I read in a different thread about someone who had calcium crystals and they were told to use vinegar to adjust the ph. But these aren't crystals. They look like peeled skin. Yeah, gross. I know. The guy at the store where we bought the tub is pretty useless. He tells me to add 1/2 a jug of Spa Master (used to be TruBlue) and everything will be ok. It isn't. Any suggestions for getting this gunk out? Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Mineral build-up in pipes?
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:01 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Mineral build-up in pipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:31:02 am »
sounds like mold.  you need to decontaminate/superchlorinate.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:41:56 am »
If the flakes have the consistency of chalk, it's probably some mineral deposit. The consistency of pasta is generally a mold or biofilm
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gingercat

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:50:21 am »
It's more gooey than chalk-like. Eeek! Ok, so HOW do I decontaminate or superchlorinate? We have a bromine system so we haven't used chlorine, per se...  Oh, and thanks for the quick replies!

Are there specific products I should be getting to deal with this? How do I use them? As I said, the local guy is not helpful. He likes to sell spas, he doesn't seem that interested in the upkeep. And by local, it's about a 45 minute drive to the shop. Are there products I can get from some place like Rona or Home Depot (much easier to get to)? I am in Canada, so some retail offerings are different here...

Gingercat

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »
Ok, now my husband is saying he thinks it is more chalk-like than gooey. It's subjective I guess.  I want to get the tub in good shape before it gets really cold here. Nothing like a soak after a day of skiing... And cleaning the hot tub in -20C conditions is just no fun at all.

So, what do I need to do to solve the problem? I am willing to try multiple fixes, I just want the tub to be useable.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42