What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: One for Chem Geek  (Read 3344 times)

goneaway

One for Chem Geek
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:39 am »
Rather than me hijacking a thread, i'll start a new one, maybe Chem Geek could answer this.
In laymans terms though please  ;D

At school we were taught that acids and alkali's were measured on a PH scale.

If water at 7.2 is neutral and then by adding chlorine, we turn it acidic.
Then what the heck is TA (i assumed Total Alkalinity ??), and how can you affect the PH without affecting the TA?

I'm confused.

To compound my confusion, i was also under the impression that Chlorine was a bleach, and that bleach was alkaline.
How come the stuff we add in the hot tub is acidic.

I really should have been more attentive in chemistry.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:21:24 am by keat63 »

Hot Tub Forum

One for Chem Geek
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:39 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: One for Chem Geek
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:20 am »
It's the other way round. Bleach is a form of chlorine, and has a pH of 13 (very alkaline). Pure chlorine gas has a pH below 1 (very acidic). Other forms of chlorine;

Sodium Dichlor - 6.9
Tri Chlor - 2.9
Calcium Hypochlorite - 11.8
Lithium Hypochlorite - 10.7
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:08 pm »
Rather than me hijacking a thread, i'll start a new one, maybe Chem Geek could answer this.
In laymans terms though please  ;D

At school we were taught that acids and alkali's were measured on a PH scale.

If water at 7.2 is neutral and then by adding chlorine, we turn it acidic.
Then what the heck is TA (i assumed Total Alkalinity ??), and how can you affect the PH without affecting the TA?

I'm confused.

To compound my confusion, i was also under the impression that Chlorine was a bleach, and that bleach was alkaline.
How come the stuff we add in the hot tub is acidic.

I really should have been more attentive in chemistry.

It's difficult to adjust TA (total Alkalinity) without affecting the PH. You should try and get a TA of 80-120 first. This gives you a buffer for your PH. Then try and make adjustments to your PH. Soda ash raises PH and TA but effects PH more than TA. Baking soda raises TA more with less effect on PH so depending on where your water starts.........You may have to live with one (TA, PH) slightly off. No biggy.

Keat, your turning into a water Nazi like I was....LOL  ;D
Retired

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 03:23:39 am »
The different chlorine sources have different pH as indicated by Dr. Spa.  However, when any of the sources of chlorine is used/consumed, this is an acidic process so the net effect of using bleach, chlorinating liquid, Cal-Hypo or lithium hypochlorite is that it is fairly pH neutral.  The rise in pH when using these sources of chlorine comes from carbon dioxide outgassing because pools and spas are intentionally over-carbonated.  Total Alkalinity (TA) is a measure of this over-carbonation so a higher TA will outgas more carbon dioxide and therefore rise in pH more, all else equal.

So one usually uses a higher TA when using a net acidic source of chlorine.  For example, Trichlor pucks in pools with a TA of 120 ppm or more.  In spas, using Dichlor is net acidic so a TA of 80 ppm or so is usually OK, but the actual amount that works well depends on the amount of aeration in the spa.  Using bleach or other hypochlorite sources of chlorine needs a lower TA, as low as 50 ppm, and you usually need additional pH buffering from borates (say, from boric acid).

So TA is mostly a measure of the carbonates in the water and they are good for buffering pH, BUT are a SOURCE of rising pH.  So the general rule is that if your pH tends to rise over time, then target a lower TA level; if your pH tends to drop over time, raise your TA level.

goneaway

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:56 am »
Wished i'd never asked  ;D
My head hurts now  :o

I'm currently using Bromine, as the smell isn't so bad.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42