What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie questions - J-280 vs. Elite 5400 and other options  (Read 5114 times)

Jason

Newbie questions - J-280 vs. Elite 5400 and other options
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
Hot tub newbie.  First time buyer and want to make a good decision.  I'm hoping some of you more experienced folks can provide some info.

First some details about us and what we're looking for...

-Family of 4 with 2 kids (currently 2.5 years and 3 months)
-plan to entertain regularly with neighbours, family and friends
-no specific therapy needs, but I do train for triathlon and am looking forward to some relaxing massage for my tired muscles.  Added bonus if it means fewer trips to the massage therapist.
-no interest in loungers
-We will keep the temp lower (98-99) so the kids can enjoy it with us as they get older.
-Fully expect the kids to treat the tub as a pool

We first looked at a Coast Silouette because it was on sale and had some nice options, but after research I'm not comfortable with the spotted track record with quality control and service.  I was also not crazy about the way the jets felt. 

Now looking at a Jacuzzi J-280.  This tub meets a lot of our needs.  Love that it's wide open for the kids to play.  Good for enteraining.  Has all the bells and whistles we want.  But I am concerned that the lower end Jacuzzi products won't last as long or that the jets will provide as nice of a massage.

Other big downsize to the J-280 is no foot dome.  We think we'd like this and so have been considering other options.  Torn on this because the dome won't allow for as much room for the kids to play and move around.  Does anyone know if the J-280 jets on the bottom side of the tub are easy enough to access for a decent foot massage.

Other dome options we're considering are the...

Max 5400.  Seems like a great tub.  Not sure about insulation.  More moulded seating isn't as appealing to me but may be worth the tradeoff.

J-245.  Has the layout we'd like, but smaller sized tub.  This could be an issue as I'm 6'1", my wife is tall and many of our friends who would enjoy the tub with us are also tall.

J-365  Smaller than the J-280 but could still work for us and has the foot dome.

Summary...

J-280: $6700 - perfect tub for us with the exception of no foot dome and don't know of bottom-side jets will give us enough of a foot massage option.

Maxx 5400: $7500 - great tub, meets almost all of our needs, but concerned that the foot dome wouldn't allow enough play room for the kids.

J-365: $8,000 - too expensive for us I think, and same dome concerns with kids playing.

J-245: $6200 - probably too small.

As I write this I realize how much I am leaning towards the J-280.  But, will I really miss that foot dome?  And is this 200 series still a good quality?

Thanks so much for any feedback you can provide.

Jason

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie questions - J-280 vs. Elite 5400 and other options
« on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »

mjb

Re: Newbie questions - J-280 vs. Elite 5400 and other options
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:16:16 pm »
Jason, the Jacuzzi J-280 is one of our most popular family spas here in the Columbus, Ohio area.
Because you and your wife are tall enough you should get relief from the foot jets and you can also turn your bodies sideways in the seat to catch jets at a seat nearby.
Our track record with Jacuzzi's 200 series is excellent and we expect the owners of these spas to enjoy them for many years down the road.
Hope this helps and the prices you listed are accurate.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »
  Plus one, as far as the quality goes you should be fine also.    The 280 is a very underrated spa in my opinion, specially from a size standpoint for tall or lets just say really large people, and since you do triathlons I doubt you fall in the latter category..   ;)    But stilla great spa for those that do...

Jason

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:13 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  We're wet testing the J280, Maax 5400 and Sundance Chelsea and J-365 on Friday, although I think the Sundance is just slightly out of our price range.  I suppose we'll see how they all feel when we get in them on Friday.

If there are any more thoughts on these tubs or quality of brands, please share.

thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42