What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotspring Highlife Range Questions  (Read 3331 times)

mentalmike

Hotspring Highlife Range Questions
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:43:21 am »
Hi all, just looking at first purchase of a hot tub and have a few questions after wet testing some hotspring tubs.

I believe I am right in in thinking that they all have a 1.5kw heater - this seems quite low compared to the other top manufacturers. I know insulation comes into it but how do these tubs compare when used in the winter - my main concern is do they retain their heat well when in use when it is cold?

Audio options, when speaking to the dealer they went through all the audio options. As I expected, speakers are an add on, but I was told a sub is an additional add on again - is this true as I can't find any mention of this option on their website?

Again with the audio - depending on where I look, in brochures or on the websites I always come across two products that are classed as wireless audio. There is the soundcast shown below:

Or this black box thing:

Which one do you actually get and what is the difference?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Hot Tub Forum

Hotspring Highlife Range Questions
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:43:21 am »

Spoiledrotten

Re: Hotspring Highlife Range Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:02 am »
When I was shopping for my spa, I feel that the dealer I spoke to last was straight up with me. I could tell he wasn't trying to sell a box load of "stuff". He told me that he would spend the extra money on a sound system, they they weren't even as good as something you could buy for pennies on the dollar at Best Buy or some other store. If you think about it, you're spending $1500.00+ for a little transmitter and some outdoor speakers. You can buy the same thing at Best Buy for $300.00 +/-.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

kporter

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:34 am »
Depending on the model the Hotsprings Highlife heaters should be 4kw or 6kw. Not sure where the 1.5kw is coming from? Are you wiring to 110volts? If not then at least 4kw.

mentalmike

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Spoiledrotten - thanks for the idea, think I will look into that. Means I can also use the speakers when not in the tub.

kporter - I'm in the UK so wonder if the spec is different for us? Unless I have understood it incorrectly?

Control System
  • 230v/16 amp
  • 50Hz

Heater
  • No-Fault™
  • 1500w/230v

Website: http://www.hotspring.co.uk/shop-hot-tub-models/highlife/sovereign#second

kporter

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:48 pm »
Hey Mike,

Seems you are right. Sorry I do not know what sort of regulations there are in your area, perhaps there is a very good reason for the lower kw? A dealer or phoning Watkins customer service might be in order. Unless someone here with more experience then me has an answer?

As to the sound...I do not like to push or be biased when shoppers come in but I would rather put the money into the hot tub quality. Bigger / Ace / Design around spa something like that and do a separate sound system.

Porter

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:05:13 pm »
Most areas of Europe simply don't have the available amperage as we do. It's not unusual for homes there to have only 20 amps feeding them.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

mentalmike

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:33 pm »
I have sent an email but after looking at the specs again think you might be right. Wonder how other manufacturers get around this as I know UK spec master spas in twilight range use 3kw. Bit of a pain the UK is not so into hot tubs as the US as its very hard to find any UK specific advice. Thanks anyway all. Can you guys see 1.5kw being an issue?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:36:54 pm »
I have sent an email but after looking at the specs again think you might be right. Wonder how other manufacturers get around this as I know UK spec master spas in twilight range use 3kw. Bit of a pain the UK is not so into hot tubs as the US as its very hard to find any UK specific advice. Thanks anyway all. Can you guys see 1.5kw being an issue?

It wouldn't suprise me if Master Spa was being purposely deceitful. They have a long history of it.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:36:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42