What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Waffling...need advice.  (Read 2940 times)

HotSpot2014

Waffling...need advice.
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »
Potential first timer here. My husband have researched (thanks to this forum too!) and have done some wet tests and settled on a J-365. I believe we have gotten a good deal should we move forward. $9995 for a new 2014 including cover/lifter, delivery and set up, stairs, a few months of chemicals...but we are waffling.

1) delivery is quick and its winter....we haven't broken sod, gravelled and set the pavers yet!
2) electrical not in yet (less worried about that...got a guy)
3) big investment....good deal or not...
4) keep hearing people saying that we will likely use it for 6 months, a year, maybe two and then be tired of it.....how does one know?!?!?! I think we are hot tub people but have never owned!

We have been talking about this for years but now that it's potentially close we are waffling. So.....has anyone prepped the site in winter? (We are in ontario). Any general words of wisdoms, advice? Is this the best price we can get? Help!

A
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:38:44 am by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

Waffling...need advice.
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Waffling...need advice.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »
I think it comes down to your want for a tub. There is no doubt the excitement will wear off. For most it takes longer than a year. Some a lot longer. But even for those that are willing to pay the electric bill every month it is nice to have for even 1-3 times per month, or 20-30 times per year. If you consider the cost of staying in and soaking versus going out. You can save some money by paying the electric bill. But you won't recoup the costs of the original luxury. However if you can afford it you will get many years of enjoyment. More than a new car which cost's a lot more.

Water care is easier with less use.
Retired

summerside9000

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 06:56:41 pm »
price seems a bit high. what options does the tub have?
set up in winter will be fine as the ground is likely frozen by now.
You will probably want to re-do it in the spring with a concrete pad or compacted fill.
If its not level you will see it on the surface of the tub and it will bother a construction guy.
I don't use mine all the time but do keep it going all year round.
The first three or four months will be awesome and after that the neighbors are jealous so it makes sense to keep telling them how awesome it is to have a tub. dont invite them over until you have the water mastered which takes a couple of months.
go for it already you wont be disappointed.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:39:50 am »
Sorry about modifying your post above. (sleepy this morning, I meant to hit quote, but I hit my moderators MODIFY button)

Anyway, I wanted to add -   For the statement of getting tired of it,  that statement frequently comes out of jealousy.  There was no facebook or too much online stuff for me to go back 12 years and see who those people were for me.  ;)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Quickbeam

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
We bought our first hot tub early in the spring of this year. So I’m not sure how valuable my advice will be to you given we are not even one year in yet. Having said that, I don’t regret our purchase for a minute. Would do it again in a heartbeat. It’s true that we don’t use our tub as much now as when we first got it, but we do still use it and it is just so comforting to soak in a hot tub.

I had always wanted a hot tub and just never lived anywhere that I could have one. A couple of years ago I inherited a family cabin, which we tore down and rebuilt, and now we have a hot tub on a roof deck. We love it!

So I guess my advice would be if this is something you’ve always wanted, and you can afford it, then go for it. From the tone of your post, it appears to me that if you don’t buy, it might be one of those things you will regret that you didn’t do. 

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 03:19:27 pm »
We have had are Marquis Reward for 8 or 9 years.  Yes, we use it a lot less.  In the summer maybe once every 6 weeks or so.  In the fall and winter a couple times a month.  When you don't use if very often its easy to not keep up on water maintenance and then when you want to use it you got skunky water....Oh well

Chartreux

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »
We just got a Sundance spa and we have Summers here in the 100's and I do plan to use it in the Summer...But, I still very excited right now....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42