What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator vs. Clear ray  (Read 8827 times)

hkc

Ozonator vs. Clear ray
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »
Is there an advantage of one over the other? I was told tonight that Ozone is the old technology and that it will break down the soft plastic parts, including head rests and the inside of the cover. Truth to that or total BS? Please help me make an informed choice!

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator vs. Clear ray
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »

bimmerdog

Re: Ozonator vs. Clear ray
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:17:49 am »
I will only speak about the clear ray because that is what I presently am using.  I would buy it again.  It has helped in keeping my water very clean and we have used our tub more in 4 months then most will use their tubs in a year.  My tub has been unused only 7 days in four months.  I have been told by people that do not own the system that clear ray does nothing for the tub.  Well I can only say I must just be very lucky because i use less chemicals with more use then a neighbor with a different system and I have zero smell like he has when I open the cover to use the tub.   

I do take my water maintenance seriously.  After first month the tub was emptied.  Every week the filters is cleaned.  I will be emptying my tub again next month for it's four month cleaning.  I do not use my tub as a bath tub. 

I have been asked to unplug the clear ray to see if it would make a difference.  I was thinking of doing that until my neighbor got his tub and seeing what he has to do to keep his water in the same shape as mine I know the clear ray does work in helping  the water to stay in great shape. 

Oh and yes in 8 months I will have to buy a $79 UV bulb to replace the old bulb. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:28:18 am »
Is there an advantage of one over the other? I was told tonight that Ozone is the old technology and that it will break down the soft plastic parts, including head rests and the inside of the cover. Truth to that or total BS? Please help me make an informed choice!

Clearray is an ozonator, its just the name they gave theirs. In reality its UV type of ozonator which is really older ozone technology and while it might help a little its really much ado about nothing (IMO of course). Don't worry about all the ozone talk, if its included in the spa thats fine but I wouldn't factor it my decision making process much at all.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hkc

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:15:31 am »
Once again, thanks for the info. I had the feeling it was pretty much the same thing. Its hard to compare how people will keep a tub but if they are about the same technology then it's not really a deciding factor.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 11:09:36 am »

Clearray is an ozonator, its just the name they gave theirs. In reality its UV type of ozonator which is really older ozone technology and while it might help a little its really much ado about nothing (IMO of course). Don't worry about all the ozone talk, if its included in the spa thats fine but I wouldn't factor it my decision making process much at all.

One difference is it clear ray does not produce a gas that is injected into the water, and I find what bimmerdog to be true regarding the head rest and underside of the cover/plastic. Time will tell, and yes you do have to replace the UV bulb once a year and it's not hard to do.  I had my reservations about Clear Ray at first many of which have changed since then..  As far as ozonanators being old technology, it's effectice and it works, but it does add to the deterioration of pillows and what not..

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »

One difference is it clear ray does not produce a gas that is injected into the water, and I find what bimmerdog to be true regarding the head rest and underside of the cover/plastic. Time will tell, and yes you do have to replace the UV bulb once a year and it's not hard to do.  I had my reservations about Clear Ray at first many of which have changed since then..  As far as ozonanators being old technology, it's effectice and it works, but it does add to the deterioration of pillows and what not..

I guess you could call it a "gas" but don't they both create 0³ just that one uses a corona discharge and the other uses a UV bulb to cause oxygen (02) to become 0³?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:32:05 pm »
  It's not an ozonator!   The water circulates around a UV bulb in the ClearRay system then back to the spa, so there is no gas created or injected at all.  Very similar to UV light systems for Aquariums and ponds.     I am actually very impressed with it now that it's been in the field for awhile now.     

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:12:41 pm »
It's an ultra violet sterilizer. Very different from ozone (the wave length of UV light to produce ozone is a different wave length of a ultra violet sterilizer). And NOT AT ALL any kind of "new technology"...unless you consider 1801 to be recent.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TdiDave

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:58:01 pm »
I have the clear ray but can't really speak if its better or worse than ozone as this is my first tub. 

Only thing new I would add to the above is that I am finding the ClearRay eats up CYA.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:58:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42