What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any way to get the cover completely out of sight when spa is being used?  (Read 5217 times)

HT2020

I just purchased a Vanguard hotsprings spa and am gettting the site prepared for it.  I think we will be building decking around the spa.  I have put the spa in a nicely landscaped area and I really don't like the look of a big cover sticking up behind the spa.  I was shown two types of covers made by Covermate.  One of them had gas shocks and was very easy to move up and down; but on the fully-off position it stuck out too prominently behind the hot tub (an eyesore).  The other one did not have gas shocks and was slightly harder to move but seemed to have a lower profile when it was completely removed (only a foot or more was sticking out from behind the tub).  Are there any other options to remove the visibility of the cover completely when it is removed and behind the tub?  The spa will be used by fairly "young" and strong users so there is not a great issue about lifting the cover.  If the second Covermate variant that I mentioned is the best option available then I have no problem going with it.  However, if there are work-arounds such that I can have it completely out of view I would prefer that (even if it entails creating a trough in the ground behind the cover).

Hot Tub Forum

Sam

There is an option called the cover roller which is basically 2 arms that form a shelf when in the up position and they have wheels on top.  You flip the arms up and slide the cover on to the shelf so that the cover is parallel with the ground.  This option will require more clearance on that side.  Basically, half the width of the tub.  Follow the link below and scroll down a bit to see it.

http://www.hwpinc.com/accessories/lifters.html

rin-spa-aic

The tub I grew up with was built into the patio. We always moved the cover completely away from the tub and out of view, or just slide it onto the patio. Still do that to this day.

My current tub is on a deck and I have the same issue you describe. The cover is attached with chain which I plan on just extending until the cover drops even or below the level of the tub. A couple of quick links will let me use it in either position since at night it doesn't make a big difference to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
I just purchased a Vanguard hotsprings spa and am gettting the site prepared for it.  I think we will be building decking around the spa.  I have put the spa in a nicely landscaped area and I really don't like the look of a big cover sticking up behind the spa.  I was shown two types of covers made by Covermate.  One of them had gas shocks and was very easy to move up and down; but on the fully-off position it stuck out too prominently behind the hot tub (an eyesore).  The other one did not have gas shocks and was slightly harder to move but seemed to have a lower profile when it was completely removed (only a foot or more was sticking out from behind the tub).  Are there any other options to remove the visibility of the cover completely when it is removed and behind the tub?  The spa will be used by fairly "young" and strong users so there is not a great issue about lifting the cover.  If the second Covermate variant that I mentioned is the best option available then I have no problem going with it.  However, if there are work-arounds such that I can have it completely out of view I would prefer that (even if it entails creating a trough in the ground behind the cover).

http://www.leisureconcepts.com/main.php?page=15

This might work for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
First off - if you DO end up using a cover lifting device, be SURE to use one from HotSpring. Your cover (if standard) is equipped with metal plates in six places, and two metal channels behind the zippers. The HotSpring Uprite Cover lift and/or Cover Cradle lift and hold the cover by those plates, NOT the hinge.

But if you don't want any type of lifter, try the cover shelf.

You can leave the arms folded against the tub when you don't want to use it - for example when you are entertaining. On those occasions you can move the cover completely out of the way. For day-to-day use, slide the cover out onto the arms as much or as little as you like.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HT2020

Thanks for the advice.  However, if I do decide to vault the pool and it becomes flush with the decking around it, what is the best way to cover it?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Cover Upright. You can mount the hardware on the side of the spa, of course, but you can also take some of the fittings off and mount it directly to a flat surface. Very adjustable, and it keeps the cover above the lip of the spa shell - perfect for in-deck use.

Here is a video about the Cover Lift Systems available from HotSpring: for in-deck or in-ground, use the "Cover Uprite."

http://youtu.be/1brK9Dzb6sc
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

girlinhotwater

Keep in mind, the more you move your cover around without a lift system of any kind, the more wear and tear....just saying.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42