What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Permits for installing spa? Headache?  (Read 3024 times)

HT2020

Permits for installing spa? Headache?
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »
I'm intending on installing a Hot Springs spa in my backyard and thought that I would check on the neccessity of acquiring a permit.  I live in West Los Angeles and called the local building and safety office to make inquiries.  I got the distinct impression that getting a permit would be quite cumbersome.  The inspector I spoke to sounded very officious and was lecturing me on a self-locking cover, a 5 foot enclosure around the spa etc.  I then asked what if I wanted to semi-vault the spa (ie: about 20 inches) and he said that the vaulting would have to be inspected before the spa was put into it etc.  Do people actually go through all of this or is this routinely ignored?  I spoke to an installer who does vaulting and he told me that he would charge me an extra $1000 to pull the permit and deal with all the issues relating to it.  I prefer to do things above board but this sounds like a big fuss and a potential headache. 

Hot Tub Forum

Permits for installing spa? Headache?
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »

Hollywood

Re: Permits for installing spa? Headache?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:57:31 am »
As an electrician everything I do is to code, with or without a permit.  If a homeowner wants me to pull a permit I charge extra but will always give them the option of pulling it themselves.  If you pull the permit yourself your contractor shouldn't charge you any extra unless he can explain where he is going to have to make separate trips out to allow time for inspections.  For example if he has to dig a footing and then wait a day for the inspector to come before pouring the concrete.  That would be an extra trip because he could most likely do it all in one day without the inspection.  Otherwise, everything he does should be exactly the same.  If it isn't I would want to know why. 

The bottom line is that it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes look at the work.  Especially if you are unfamiliar with the construction process.  The construction trade has, in general, a bad reputation and its well earned.  There are a lot of guys out there that either don't know what they are doing or don't care if they are doing it right or not.  The sad truth is that it is hard to tell the good ones from the bad unless you are actually in the profession.

Is there some reason why you can't pull the permit yourself.  It has been my experience that most inspectors (not all, some are just jerks) are willing to help a homeowner by explaining the process.  You just have to take the time to meet with them and ask the questions. 

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:24 am »
Sadly the inspectors "Opinion" of the code often outweighs the contractors tolerance of it or the real safety concerns.

It's such a struggle when it comes to code...most contractors and homeowners want to do the correct thing however, you have many people in the process that have no idea what is safe in a spa and what isn't and as I stated above, the code is subject to the interpretation of the person reading it. If they have no experience with spas they often overshadow knowledge with attitude.

I've often said that a regional building job is perfect for the person that got beat up and their lunch money stolen as kids...they can get back at everyone!

I would know what the code is, but I always try to keep as few people in the mix as possible. It's sad that they make following the rules so impossible for the common person. In the end, it's your but on the line if they come back on you for permits.

I built my basement without permit but I videoed every step for documentation.

HT2020

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:34:07 pm »
That was my impression.  I tried to be compliant and called the Building and Safety office.  I spoke to some officious sounding fellow who waxed on about covers and latches, a five foot fence around the spa, a safety distance from the fence so that a child or intruder doesn't inadvertantly fall into the jacuzzi and drown etc etc.  By the end of the conversation I concluded that a permit is not for me.  However, I think that it would make sense to get a permit for the electrical work (rather than the vaulting etc).  If the house burns down the insurance may not want to cover it if it was unpermitted.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:34:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42