What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Circulation Pump: Cap blown off  (Read 3052 times)

MikeAndKelli

Sundance Circulation Pump: Cap blown off
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:11 pm »
This morning, I noticed our 2000 Sundance Altamar was silent, so I checked and...yep...no power.  I tried a dozen times to cycle the GFCI but couldn't get anything to register.  Had to get to work, so when I got home, I opened up the access panel and noticed the light was on the control box.  So it has power, but the display was still dead.  Then I looked closer, and there was the black round disk lying on the drain.  I'd never seen that before, so I looked, and realized that it was the end cap from the circulation pump.  And it was wet in the tub.

Now, I've had circulation pumps go before, and all the spa did was shut down or report "FLO" on the display.  So I'm trying to decide what to do here.

As background, it's now nearly 13 years old.  Two years ago, we had one of the pipes leading to the high speed pump crack, and the repair guy said that we're probably going to have a lot of these problems.  Several jets have stopped working over the years (found lots of ball bearings in the tub), and the foam on the gate to the filter has been degrading into foam pellets throughout the tub and filter.  Also, when the pipe cracked, there was water in the tub and it caused the wood on the access panel to start rotting.

At that time, we had come to a tentative decision that when something major happened next, we wouldn't fix it.  I'm thinking this is it.  If it was just a circ pump, I might consider it; typically that's been a $250-$300 repair.  But the fact that the display doesn't even operate tells me that it's more than the circ pump and that there is more damage.

I could spend $100 to have the repair guy look it over, but my instinct tells me that's going to be a waste of money.  Should I think of this as a 13 year old car and send it off to the junkyard?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Circulation Pump: Cap blown off
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:11 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Sundance Circulation Pump: Cap blown off
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:14:12 am »
Its up to you. You probably got a few more years before it gets to bad.
Retired

summerside9000

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:41:14 pm »
that is a good one. flip a coin a few times.

bigbang

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:00:47 am »
13 years, worth it. :) i think you should let it go
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:02:24 am by bigbang »

clover

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »
Check the 30 amp primary fuse located inside the control box, they have them at Home Depot, then we can talk about it.  That would be the best place to start.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42