What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Silk Balance....is it worth it?  (Read 57761 times)

chem geek

Re: Silk Balance....is it worth it?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 02:27:29 am »
Whether the SpaGuard Enhanced has any MPS or not is not relevant to the point that only adding this product once a week is NOT maintaining any sort of disinfectant residual in the water.  With silver ions, one needs to maintain an MPS level to disinfect the water.  Adding even a pure MPS product once a week won't cut it.  That was my point about the dealer's claim of all the users just adding a capful or two of product once a week.  No matter what it was, it would not last through the week disinfecting, most especially not if there is bather load in between dosings.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 02:27:29 am »

hottub63

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:50 am »
Thanks again. I talked to the service manager and he told me that I should be putting some mps in each time I get in the hot tub and 1 1/2 capfuls of enchanced shock once a week.

This advice sounds much more along the lines if what you re suggesting. My question is why do I need to pur enchanced shock in? What does it do?

chem geek

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »
MPS does not oxidize all the same chemicals that chlorine does.  So over time the tub can get dull/cloudy if you were to use only MPS (even with silver ions).  So the weekly chlorine helps to oxidize some chemicals that MPS doesn't deal with and keeps the water clear.  Technically, you could just use a pure Dichlor product rather than the "Enhanced Shock", but since we've all been speculating as to whether the "other ingredients" are MPS (unlikely since it's not listed and normally this chemical has to be listed) or something else I can't really tell you what that Enhanced Shock is doing for you other than what the Dichlor does.

hottub63

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and bought the silk balance. Every review I see online from people that are using the combo of that, enahanced shock once a week, ion stick, and ozone seem to be really happy with it.

I know it costs more than other ways to maintain the water but the people who do use it really seem to like it and it really does seen hassle free. I'm going to try it for a bit and see how it works out. I'll report back. :-)

Thanks for everyone's help.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:56 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and bought the silk balance. Every review I see online from people that are using the combo of that, enahanced shock once a week, ion stick, and ozone seem to be really happy with it.

I know it costs more than other ways to maintain the water but the people who do use it really seem to like it and it really does seen hassle free. I'm going to try it for a bit and see how it works out. I'll report back. :-)

Thanks for everyone's help.

FYI they have a guarantee on the first bottle so if you don't like it your not out any $

Flyonthewall

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »
i don't see any reason why you shouldn't just follow the formula laid out in the silk balance brochure.  the pamphlet should be included with each bottle.  their instructions are simple, one tablespoon per week of sodium dichlor, one tablespoon of mps per person after soaking, 4 oz of silk per week, silver cartrige + ozone and you are good to go.  your dealer is probably trying to avoid having to say the words "use chlorine once per week", even though you are getting it in the enhanced shock. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42