What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hello and a question  (Read 3419 times)

aviator

Hello and a question
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:02:34 pm »
Hi all, am a newb to hottubbin and have been researching. Finally have landed on the Hotsprings Grandee.
I have a new deck built for this (last Oct) and its PT pine. What deck stain/protection would serve well with salt water?
Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Hello and a question
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:02:34 pm »

clover

Re: Hello and a question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:04 pm »
A heavy concentration of Linseed oil, or tung oil (my preference would be "Waterlox"), avoid petroleum base products like Thompson's Waterseal.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

bobbyhy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:38:52 pm »
Water lox is an amazing product. I use it for staining guitars and the heavy coat is easy to ,apply and the final finish keeps water out. Not cheap but a large 1 gallon goes a long way. Good Luck.

aviator

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
Thanks guys, i checked Waterlox and there is absolutely no mention of protecting wood from salt water. Even for their "marine" product.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:19:32 pm by aviator »

clover

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »
First you must understand what a sealer does.  Tung oil, or Linseed Oil, saturates the cellular structure of the wood filling each cell.  A second and third coat brings the finish closer to the surface and will give you a fine furniture finish if you desire. 

The water, or salt water, is not going to be absorbed into the cellular structure of the wood, thus the reason they call it a "sealer".  Without it, your on your own, good luck.

Incidentally, the "marine grade product" is the "same" tung oil sold to "boaters" that are willing to pay a little more for a "marine grade Product". ;)
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:46:58 pm »
Salt water doesn't harm wood. In fact, many of us who own or have owned wooden boats add salt to the bilges to preserve the wood, if we have to keep the boat in fresh water, or if it fills with rain water.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

aviator

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:03 pm »
Thanks all and chad, nice to know. Have you all any experience with restore deck stain?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42