What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Optima "----"  (Read 6049 times)

sorebikr

Sundance Optima "----"
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:36 am »
Came back after a few weeks away from the house and found the temp in the tub was 47.  Yikes.  Its been in the teens and twenties for a few weeks now outside, this could've been a whole lot worse.  At first I thought it was because I'd accidentally put it into Economy mode and the tub couldn't keep up with the heat loss. 

Then I looked up the code and saw that was "watchdog" mode.  Hmm.  This morning I went out and the tub was at 103 despite being set for just 95.  *Sigh*

So is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this myself or is definitely time to call a technician.  Simple thermostat replacement or is the a known issue and I'll have to replace the board?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Optima "----"
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:36 am »

clover

Re: Sundance Optima "----"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:04:24 pm »
sounds like a temp sensor problem.  The temp sensor is "lying" to the circuit board which is showing the wrong temperature.  It is time to change the temp sensor.  You will get a watchdog signal ----, when the 2 temperature sensor disagree outside the allowable variance. 
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

sorebikr

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:19:48 am »
Pretty much what I figured.  Found this video online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXBts4rZiC8

Looks like a really simple repair (as long as I ignore the fact it'll be 20 degrees when I'm doing this) Blech.  Any other advice?  I'll start googling now on where to buy a new sensor but if anyone has a suggestion on where to pick one up, I'd appreciate it.

-Steve

---

Quick edit:  Looks like I need a 6600-167 as I have a 2010 880 series tub. 
I also found this reference table
http://www.spaandpoolstore.com/sundance-spas-sensors.html

Hmmm, not sure if I did that image right, but you can see it here:
http://imgur.com/nJ64x
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:59:31 am by sorebikr »

clover

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »
A 2010 880 Series would still be under warranty.  2 to 3 years old is pretty early to need a new sensor, but likely to be the solution.  A service tech would have a test plug, or the ability to measure ohms comparing the two sensors.  Have you contacted your dealer?

Regardless, it does appear to be a sensor problem.  when you get a replacement, simply disconnect the sensor from the sensor loom at the top of the circuit board and insert the new one without installing it yet.  This will confirm the sensor is the solution.  You will see the current temperature to be different then the temp indicated before this procedure.

Your dealer should be able to correct this problem under warranty.  That is the easiest way for you to accomplish the correction.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

sorebikr

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation and suggestion on testing the new sensor before getting soaking wet.  It likely is under warranty, but it might just be simpler to do this myself due to timing and some of the logistic issues. 

The dealer is 40 minutes away from the house.  I'm currently 2.5hrs away from the house.  I'd hate to make them drive out if this was just a fluke and have them show up to repair a fully functional hot tub.  And if the part is only $30, that's less than I'd likely pay in travel time, no? 

Strange that this is the second (possible) electrical issue I've had in a month.  (The fuse in the radio was the first).  I hope this isn't the beginning of a long string of headaches.

zapta

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:38:20 pm »
sounds like a temp sensor problem.  The temp sensor is "lying" to the circuit board which is showing the wrong temperature.  It is time to change the temp sensor.  You will get a watchdog signal ----, when the 2 temperature sensor disagree outside the allowable variance.

Just curious, if there are two sensors, how do you determine which one to replace?

bimmerdog

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »
If it was me and I came back to the same thing as you I would be on the phone and have the tech on his way out to fix/check the tub.  If you replace what you think is wrong and by chance do some thing wrong that causes more problems you could cause problems with your warranty.  At lease call the dealer and see what they say to do.

sorebikr

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »
If you take a look at the vid, its a really simple repair.  Two box clips to make the connections and a 1" wrench to loosen the sensor.  $30 for the part. 

I did call my dealer, who referred me to their repair "guy".  When he called me back at the end of the day he said...well...yeah....this would be under warranty.  But it'll be a $75 service charge to start.  And I'm two hours away, so I don't want to waste my time if the tub is actually ok"

I'll fix the sensor tomorrow and if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll let their "guy" deal with it. 

If it was me and I came back to the same thing as you I would be on the phone and have the tech on his way out to fix/check the tub.  If you replace what you think is wrong and by chance do some thing wrong that causes more problems you could cause problems with your warranty.  At lease call the dealer and see what they say to do.

sorebikr

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:00:42 pm »
For anyone seeing this thread later, a quick update.

Made it back to the house this weekend with the parts in hand.  Tub was working just fine.  Maybe this was a symptom of me leaving it in economy mode in cold weather.  *shrug* 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:06 am »
Great news.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42