What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Finally bought a tub!  (Read 5111 times)

ATC Buckeye

Finally bought a tub!
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »
After months of research and debating, we finally ended up pulling the trigger on a tub. I bought a Sundance Cameo from a nice couple on Craigslist.  They bought the tub new, and used it sparingly in an enclosed sunroom.  It was new in 2004, and the seller arranged for delivery.  The tub literally looks brand new.  The Cameo was one of the few tubs that had a lounger that fit my 6'6" frame, without being too deep to drown my 5'3" wife.   We did have to do without LED lighting and waterfalls, and I have to build an access panel in my deck to allow the tub to sit the way I want it to, but other than that I think we got a good one.   The concrete guys are currently laying a pad in the hole I cut in my deck, so hopefully I will have it up and running very soon!

Here's some early pics.  I will need to figure out a way to maneuver the tub into that hole once the pad is poured.  The movers suggested either sliding it on wood or rolling on PVC.  Will update once it's in position.

Here's a before pic of my deck with beam in the way:

New framing with new beams and hole for tub:

Tub:

So, how did I do?  Did I get a good one?  The movers said it's definitely a top of the line model.

Hot Tub Forum

Finally bought a tub!
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Finally bought a tub!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »
I definitely liked that model, had I went with a lounger again that would have been a leading choice.  The cabinet still looks good.  I hope you don't bring bad mojo this weekend covering up the block O though!   Congrats on not getting killed while using Craig's list!   I'm glad it worked out.  When will it be operational?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

sorebikr

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 04:20:41 pm »
Love the pics.  If that were me, I'd be stressing about how to lift & drop a hot tub into that little hole.  Do you think it would be an option to temporarily remove that far board/joist that spans the opening, slide the tub in from the side, and replace the board?  Maybe that's what you're planning on doing already, but it seems like it would be a lot easier.

planetary

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »
Awesome!  Be sure to post all these pictures, and more, over in the Show Us Your Hot Tub forum!

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:07 am »
Yeah that end board is currently off.  I took it off so the concrete guys could get in there easily.  I think we are going to roll it on PVC pipes and slide it in from that open end, then replace the pipe. 

The concrete guy finished the pad yesterday afternoon and said to let it sit 5 days before setting the tub on it so I hope to slide it in on Thursday.  Then electric, then finish laying deck boards....  Still got a ways to go!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:38 am »
I was going to point out that you didn't use joist hangers on the ends of the joists were you cut them, but I see you have them sitting on a second rafter below, sort of like a single header.  Way to go! However, I might still be tempted to put some in just to keep the joists from twisting as they age. A simple alternative would be to put some blocks in between the ends - you seem to have some scrap in the pile that might be cut and used for this.

I would also try the spa wet before you close up the deck. You might really wish you had faced it a different direction the first time you sit in it. An alternative would be to at the very least sit in it as it sits there next to the deck - at the time of day you will usually be in it - and check out which way various seats will face. It would be obviously easier to keep the equipment door on the 'open' side of things so you (or some other poor schmoe) doesn't have to climb around beneath the deck to do repairs, but you may wan to spin it so you face the way you like better, and cut another opening into the deck. You obviously have good skills with woodwork, so coming up with a secret trap-door shouldn't be too tough if you need it.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:12 am »
The old cut joists are attached to my house via a ledger board and joist hangers and are now sitting on a new beam.  They're not going anywhere, and they are tied together with that new rim joist.  No problems there.

The configuration is something I've given a ton of thought, and I almost passed on this tub because of it.  I want the lounger facing towards my backyard, but by doing so the pumps are buried under the deck.   I finally decided to buy the tub and build the access panel because I'm still coming out about $8000 under the price of a new Cameo :)   So the hole you're seeing in the picture will actually have a 4 board wide access panel before the actual tub starts.  It's too bad I can't put the pumps on the open side, but then the lounger would be facing back towards the street and I don't want that.   The other plus side is the pumps will all be as far away from my neighbor's house as possible (our houses are CLOSE) and buried under the deck so hopefully that will help with any noise.

We are going to attempt to slide it into position on Thursday, Egyptian style:

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:18:00 am »
You almost cost us a win against Perdue.  Get that block O uncovered before Penn State comes to town!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »
You're right.  Tomorrow is moving day!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42