What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SunDance Optima has ---- watchdog but question  (Read 3513 times)

Scrambler304

SunDance Optima has ---- watchdog but question
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:09 pm »
Hello everyone.

I have a 2005 Optima. I've had the dashes before and it ended up being the cert pump. Thankfully it was under warranty and replaced. So it's been a couple years and I walk out and find the dashes again, shut down. Of course out of warranty now. I try killing the power, waiting and still nothing but ----. So I'm thinking the cert pump has gone again. It's the beginning of summer and it's not really used in the summer because it's already hot enough here. So for the past few months it has just sat there.

Finally get around to wanting to fix it and just for the heck of it, throw on the disconnect. To my amazement it comes to life. Everything works, cert pump, jets, lights, etc. I'm thinking heck yeah. A little cleaning and a water change and ready to go. That feeling was short lived. The heater kicks on because the water temp is 84 and temp setting is like 90ish. Well the temp goes from 84 and climbs up a few deg every second till it gets to 118 then flashes "OH" (over heating). This happens in all of 10 seconds or less. (Wish i could boil water that fast) Then it goes to dashes and shuts down. Kill the power and back on and nothing. I try waiting till the next day, plug it in and the same thing happens. Temp display shoots up, OH, and then watchdog ----.

So here's the question. First thinking was the heater was bad. Then I got thinking, if it's just the heater, wouldn't I just keep the OH alarm and not go into the watchdog? In the manual it said the OH alarm would disable the heater but the cert pump would keep going. Anyway, just looking for input before forking out for a heater unit and that's not the issue.

Thank you for any help,
Simon

Hot Tub Forum

SunDance Optima has ---- watchdog but question
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:09 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: SunDance Optima has ---- watchdog but question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:05:04 pm »
 I would try a temp sensor first and go from there.  It is probably sending a faulty temp to the board and it's tripping the high limit. 

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:47 am »
You have a bad temperature sensor.  I highly doubt a bad circulation pump would cause the four dashes.

Scrambler304

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:32 pm »
Hey guys. Replaced the temp sensor tonight and I'm up and running. Now have an intermittent ozone indicator. Just planing to replace it with a new one unless there's a way to service the mystery blue box?

Thanks for the help.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42