What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Circulation pump  (Read 9482 times)

panky100

Circulation pump
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:49:54 am »
I have just filled and turned on tub for first time I brought it second hand it a atlantic spa
From danz
I switched it on and everything's worked it looked like it was heating up but now the circulation pump is working but the heater symbol is not on anymore and a code comes up cldf which is a circulation pump error any ideas
Also how long should it take to heat up from cold the previous owner said he put a new circ pump before uninstalling it
I don't really know anything about hot tubs yet

Hot Tub Forum

Circulation pump
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:49:54 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Circulation pump
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:37 am »
I am not familiar with that brand, but in most cases you can get an air bubble in the circ pump. There may be a way to open a small bleeder valve to release the air, or you may be able to force water through the system with your garden hose.

Also - the filter may be plugged. A filter can look fairly good but be coated with a thin film of oil, which can block the flow of water. In many spas, that is all it takes for the heater to overheat and give you a warning code - also shutting off the heater for your safety.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:10:07 pm »
Appears to be a Chinese made spa sold in the UK.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:25:51 pm »
I would have thought "CLDF" meant, "Clean De Filter." Ok, bad joke, sorry, although it still can be the filter causing the problem.

As far as how long to expect it to take to heat, I believe I can shed some light on that. If your tub has a 220volt 1500 Watt heater, then allow it 12 to 14 hours to get up to temperature. If it has a larger heater, say 5000 watts, or even 6000 watts, then it can take as little as four hours, but most likely six.

Note: I tell my customers this and they seldom believe me, but each time you open the cover to check how warm the water is getting you add an hour to the heating time. I imagine that blowing away the warm air layer above the water has something to do with it, or it could be simply Murphy's Law - the more of a hurry you are in the longer it takes.

HTH

8)

panky100

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:38:22 pm »
The water is circulating through the filter
When the heater is on would the actual un
it be warm to touch

panky100

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »
Would the heater unit be warm to touch

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:16:37 am »
Not if the water in the tub is cool.

The best way to see if you are heating is a two-step approach:

1. See if your power meter jumps to a higher speed when the heater comes on, and

2. Close the cover, go away for twelve hours - THEN and only then - open the lid and see if you have a hot tub, or at least a tub well on it's way to being hot.

8)

tomtroxel@msn.com

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:36 pm »
The circulating pump on my hot tub does not always start.  You can hear the pump start up then shuts off.  The Pump it self is OK it justwont pump water.   This problom occurred after I refilled the tub this year.   Cout it be asir in the lines?  If so how can I fix it.

d00nut

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:25:09 am »
The circulating pump on my hot tub does not always start.  You can hear the pump start up then shuts off.  The Pump it self is OK it justwont pump water.   This problom occurred after I refilled the tub this year.   Cout it be asir in the lines?  If so how can I fix it.

It could be air in the lines.  You can either flush it out with a hose (if you know which filter is the direct line to your circulation pump,) or you can release one of the clamps attached to the circ pump and let water fly everywhere for a split second.  The first choice is obviously easier, but the second you know will be instantly effective  ;)

tomtroxel@msn.com

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »
thank you for the reply.  I used the hose to start the pump and after a couple of tries it started.  It was OK.   It worked fine for a day then it went back to not starting again. and I had to use the hose to start it.   So I am sure its air in the line but how is it that even if everything is operational the pump gets air in it again.  The tub is not leaking so how is the air getting in.  How can I fix it?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:23:10 pm »

You can hear the pump start up then shuts off. 

The Pump it self is OK

Ah...no. The pump is not ok.

Generally, once to get the air out of the pump, and it runs for a bit, it can't/wont air lock again (till you drain the spa again).

Sounds like a bad pump.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tomtroxel@msn.com

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:13 pm »
DR Spa...Thanks for the reply. I had to restart the pump with a hose yesterday.  It has restarted  for a couple of heating cycles and a cleaning cycles.  Today, I had to start with a hose again.  I am not at all sure if its the pump.  How can it work sometimes and not others.  I hate the thought of a service call!!   Thanks for your comments.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42