What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too Many Spas to choose from  (Read 19354 times)

mstrauss

Too Many Spas to choose from
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:47:42 am »
My wife and I have decided that we miss our hot tub that we had at our previous home. This hot tub came with the home, so we didn't have to make the decision on what was good or bad. We live in an area where we have several options...too many in fact that I've frustrated myself with which ones I should focus on.

Everyone seams to have acrylic insulated tubs with good construction now a days so I wasn't sure where or who to start with. After visiting a few dealers, I've been leaning towards Sundance Spas due to the micro filter cartridge that fits in the middle of the filter and the new jets with no moving parts. I felt that this was more of the sales pitch but after seeing the diferences in some of the competitors' filters I must admit I felt that this was quite important.

The reason I bring up the above mentioned features is because the other competitors seem to have all the "same features"

Other available spas that I looked at were Cal Spas and Arctic Spas. Am I missing something that I should consider or should I expand my search into Beachcomber, Hot Springs, Master Spas, Caldera, Dynasty, Bullfrog, Elite(believe this is Maxx Spas).

My main question, what makes one spa better than the others...should I pay for one over the other when comparing apples to apples?

Hot Tub Forum

Too Many Spas to choose from
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:47:42 am »

goose973

Re: Too Many Spas to choose from
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:36:01 pm »
What makes one better than the other is how you feel in it, how good the warranty is, how good your dealer is, and how the tub fits in your budget. We did a ton of research about prospective brands before we bought and were sure we would buy an Arctic. That all changed when we actually wet tested them. We found that we liked Sundance as much as the Arctics, if not more. We liked all the dealers equally, the warranties were basically equal in our eyes. It came down to price to break the tie. Couldn't justify the additional $2500 for the Arctic, so we went with a Sundance. Bottom line is that you should wet test anything that you still are considering after doing your research. That will lead you where you need to go.

mstrauss

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:47:33 am »
Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion, after doing some further investigation, I'm thinking we're going to go with the Sundance as well. I got to sit in one and test it out, makes a world of difference when you can do this!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

Everyone seams to have acrylic insulated tubs with good construction now a days so I wasn't sure where or who to start with. After visiting a few dealers, I've been leaning towards Sundance Spas due to the micro filter cartridge that fits in the middle of the filter and the new jets with no moving parts. I felt that this was more of the sales pitch but after seeing the diferences in some of the competitors' filters I must admit I felt that this was quite important.

The reason I bring up the above mentioned features is because the other competitors seem to have all the "same features"

Other available spas that I looked at were Cal Spas and Arctic Spas. Am I missing something that I should consider or should I expand my search into Beachcomber, Hot Springs, Master Spas, Caldera, Dynasty, Bullfrog, Elite(believe this is Maxx Spas).

My main question, what makes one spa better than the others...should I pay for one over the other when comparing apples to apples?

If I bought a Sundance I would purposefully get it without the micron filter whose main purpose IMO is to get the customer to buy replacement micron filters when the original goes bad in quick order. A standard filter is much more desirable for me (it does a good job, lasts FAR longer than the disposable micron version and is much cheaper in the long run). IMO you should make more important matters the basis for your spa selection anyway. I also do not think all spas are alike insulation wise though, certainly there are many that do a good job but there are also many that do not.

I agree that its tough for the consumer to really see the difference in spas. Its all about quality of the brand (workmanship and parts), fit/feel of the models (wet test) as well as the support and service of the dealer/manufacturer (i.e. all warranties look alike, not all are backed the same way). If I were creating a short list of spas to look at from the list you mentioned I’d stick to Beachcomber, Caldera, Hot Springs and Sundance. I have nothing against most of the rest though I personally would not consider Cal or Master but that’s just me. Heck, if you have the time and patience check them all out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:31:15 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

goose973

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:11 am »
A word on the sundance micron filter. My Certa is easily convertible to not having the micron filter. On the certa the micron filter isn't inside the pleated filter. It's beside it (stacked on top of it really and the filters rest horizontally when installed). So, all you have to do is buy a different filter that is all pleated. My dealer had them there. Not to argue with the other poster because what works for one doesn't always work for the other, but the micron filter for the 780 series costs about $12 and lasts 3 months. I feel that the micron filter is very much worth the extra $4 a month in my case. I don't need to use clarifier because that filter captures such small particles. Just my opinion. You have to decide for yourself. 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:59 am »
Our local Sundance dealer went out a couple of years ago, and we have picked up some of the slack for filter and other supplies, so I have met a lot of Sundance owners. They sure seem to love their tubs - but have very mixed emotions about this feature. Some love this filter, while others can't wait to find a way to get rid of it.

Personally, I think it works great - I had a used Sundance on my showroom floor wet, and the Micro kept it as clean as our HotSpring tubs sitting all around it. But I could clog one up by having a lot of people stick their hands in the spa to feel jets (only on a very busy weekend), or if I had a couple wet-test. That is hard on any tub, the folks doing the wet-test don't own a tub at home, usually, so their skin gives off much more oil than it will after they have owned a tub for a month or so. Also, testers don't usually know about the little touches of 'hot tub etiquette' revolving around not oiling up with lotions, fragrances and the like just before getting in a spa. And people sticking hand and arms in front of jets are the worst!! Your tub at home will never have that kind of traffic. But after the third time, I began swapping to the one-piece filter for test soaks.

I found one supplier who offered replacements that I could sell for less than $20, and they didn't fit well. I now sell OEM, and am basically giving them away for my cost just to keep these people happy.

The one-piece filter - all pleated - which replaces it is:
Unicel number - C-8326
Filbur FC-2780
Pleatco PSD125-2000-M ( or just PSD125 )
OEM number (as best I can tell) is 6540-488

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bullfrog Spas Support

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:46:49 am »
Disclaimer - You can see by my user name I'm biased. However, before I knew anything about Bullfrog Spas we happened to have several of these spa brands, including Bullfrog, at outdoor lodging properties and cabins I managed. Wow, what a quality difference. Several of the spas on your list would send parts in advance in anticipation of their spas breaking, and they did. We never once had to work on a Bullfrog. Secondarily, if you haven't looked under the hood you need to. Everything looks great from above, not so much underneath. Bullfrog Spas use no wood and are built in the USA. Nearly everything else is built with 2x4s or 2x2s in other countries with cheap labor and high employee turnover. If you've already purchased the Sundance, I think you're on the right track in terms of buying a nice quality spa, you could do much worse.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »
 I am not going to comment on most of your post.  I do disagree with the comment on poor quality and spa's not built in America.     I do wish more spa's and many other products were still being built in America, but we can only blame our own government and regulations for that.   
  Since Jacuzzi and Sundance spas has been being built in Mexico for awhile now, I have seen no signs that they are being built like crap.   I will infact say they have never looked better and the quality control in my opinion has gone up.
  Do you know why Mexicans are trying to leave Mexico?  Very few or no jobs at all, so the guys and gals that are building these spas love their job more than ever, and the last thing they want to do is get fired for sleeping on the job or doing a piss poor work.   They love what they are doing and take pride in the job they have.   I would guess turn over rate is not very high.
    I am only speaking for Jacuzzi and Sundance as they are most likely in the same boat as well as some other major brands I wont mention here.   These companys take care of their workers and they are happy to be building spas and feeding their familys.       I cannot comment on any lesser brands being built there.

d00nut

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:26:17 pm »
Disclaimer - You can see by my user name I'm biased. However, before I knew anything about Bullfrog Spas we happened to have several of these spa brands, including Bullfrog, at outdoor lodging properties and cabins I managed. Wow, what a quality difference. Several of the spas on your list would send parts in advance in anticipation of their spas breaking, and they did. We never once had to work on a Bullfrog. Secondarily, if you haven't looked under the hood you need to. Everything looks great from above, not so much underneath. Bullfrog Spas use no wood and are built in the USA. Nearly everything else is built with 2x4s or 2x2s in other countries with cheap labor and high employee turnover. If you've already purchased the Sundance, I think you're on the right track in terms of buying a nice quality spa, you could do much worse.

This is your second post, and I would have to say both are equally arrogant and annoying.  You sound like a politician taking snippets from things other manufacturers do to put them down.  Saying you could do much worse by purchasing a Sundance?  Sundance is an awesome spa and company! 

At least you put a disclaimer out there, I'll give you that.  For the record, I think Bullfrog is a fine spa, along with many others, but in no way do I think it superior like you do.

BTW, are you being paid by Bullfrog?  What spas sent parts in advance in anticipation of breaking down?  That just sounds like a flat out lie. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 05:06:19 pm »

This is your second post, and I would have to say both are equally arrogant and annoying.  You sound like a politician taking snippets from things other manufacturers do to put them down.  Saying you could do much worse by purchasing a Sundance?  Sundance is an awesome spa and company! 

At least you put a disclaimer out there, I'll give you that.  For the record, I think Bullfrog is a fine spa, along with many others, but in no way do I think it superior like you do.

BTW, are you being paid by Bullfrog?  What spas sent parts in advance in anticipation of breaking down?  That just sounds like a flat out lie. 

Bullfrog is ok and everyone is entitled to their opinion but the disclaimer was meaningless once he started the infomercial that followed it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:01 pm »
Bullfrog is ok and everyone is entitled to their opinion but the disclaimer was meaningless once he started the infomercial that followed it.

I didn't think anyone could top ThermoSpas crap... I was wrong.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:18:07 pm »
Bullfrog Spas use no wood

No wood, more stuff to rust. Outside in the weather, surrounded by water. Rust, rust, loose and noisey rivets or screws rattling.
Retired

vangoghsear

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:04:21 pm »
Bullfrog Spas use no wood

No wood, more stuff to rust. Outside in the weather, surrounded by water. Rust, rust, loose and noisey rivets or screws rattling.
Tman, Bullfrog uses an ABS molded structure with injection molded z-beam plastic columns, not metal. 

I am not a Bullfrog employee, I own a Bullfrog SportX 151R.  I am an engineering designer by trade, so I was interested in the structure and construction features.  I've only had it a short time (less than a month), but so far it is quiet and seems very well built.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 05:49:53 pm »
Thats different, but they are not the first or the only to use plastic structure.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 05:49:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42