What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: TechniChlor / colorchlor  (Read 4881 times)

marky mark

TechniChlor / colorchlor
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:12:01 am »
Does anyone know if these are as good as they claim? I know they are the same thing (Technichlor / Colorchlor) other than lights, but I am curious about these as I can't find any negative reviews, which is great. I am thinking of ordering one, but would love some educated feedback. Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

TechniChlor / colorchlor
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:12:01 am »

chem geek

Re: TechniChlor / colorchlor
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:22:15 pm »
They apparently work fine, but they operate at higher salt levels so be sure that's OK with the manufacturer of your tub.  Salt can be corrosive to lower quality stainless steel and other metal components, though the level required is 2000 ppm compared to saltwater chlorine generators in pools that typically use 3000 ppm.

There is inconsistency in whether the product produces 15 or 32 grams per day (different parts of the website say different things for their different products).  To put this into perspective, one person-hour of soaking requires around 9 grams of chlorine to oxidize the bather waste.  So unless you have multiple people soaking every day, the unit should be able to keep up.  However, just as with manual dosing, it is easiest if one is soaking regularly every day or two since one setting then has the chlorine level be fairly consistent.  If you instead just soak once or twice a week, then it's trickier even if you use the "boost" mode after each soak.  You can probably figure out a setting and routine to make it work well for you -- meaning that you start off your soak at a reasonably low chlorine level of 1-2 ppm so that you don't notice the chlorine much during the soak.  They recommend 3-5 ppm FC, but you are very likely to smell and notice the chlorine during your soak if it is at that level.  The unit does NOT output chlorine very quickly so there will be a time during and especially after your soak where the chlorine will be used up, but hopefully not long enough for biofilms to form.

One thing they don't talk about in the manuals is initially adding any cyanuric acid or Dichlor to your spa after a fresh refill.  If you don't do that, then the active chlorine level will be very high and will react with your skin and swimsuits faster as well as outgas faster (so will smell more and get used up faster and react with the hot tub cover faster).  So for better results, I suggest you get some CYA into your spa water after a fresh refill.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:28 am »
I am interested in these - "Our" ACE system is very smooth, very well designed, and well integrated into the computer system of the spa. But it is very pricey - and some folks are looking for a less expensive way to the same end.

Having said that, I guess my main question is, "is it really going to do the same thing." You already pointed out that it needs a higher salt content in the water, and I know that the electrodes in the ACE system are doped with something -boron? - which creates a more active output... I'm obviously not fully versed in that aspect, but the literature says it is a world apart from standard units. I want to find out how.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24:00 am »
The Technichlor / Colorchlor is just an automated way of producing chlorine only.  The ACE system produces not only chlorine but stronger oxidizers (hydroxyl radicals) so will tend to keep the water cleaner longer than chlorine alone.  Think of it as an ozonator on steroids.  The ACE electrode (at least one of them) is coated with boron-doped diamond.  So it's really a price/quality tradeoff.

See this post for a recent evaluation.  Note the use of 50 ppm borates after a fresh refill.  I forgot that this would be helpful in addition to the 30 ppm CYA.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:31:29 am by chem geek »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42