What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: old lurker..new member  (Read 3241 times)

wildman

old lurker..new member
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:15 pm »
Howdy all!
   Wildman here, I have lurked on this site for several years while trying to decide if I really want and would use a hot tub. Turns out the answer is "yes" to both questions. In early April we bought a 2012 Hot Spring Aria from the dealer here in Albuquerque. We have been using it almost every night since it was installed.
   Today we returned from a three day trip in northern New Mexico to find cloudy water and what appears to be a slight amount of an oily substance on the surface. When we left the water was fine. Our tub has the ozone system and I have been cleaning the filters every three weeks. I have just tested the water (using HS test strips) and found the hardness @ 50 ppm, pH @ 8.0, Alk @ 80 ppm. We always shower before using tub and add a cap full of Fresh  Water MPS after each use. Any ideas what went wrong and how do I correct this? Thanks, wildman

Hot Tub Forum

old lurker..new member
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:15 pm »

d00nut

Re: old lurker..new member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »
The Aria is an awesome tub!  Congrats on your purchase!

My guess would be your pH being to high.  I'd hit the spa with some dichlor (if you use it.)  Maybe 2 teaspoons, and get your pH down to 7.4-7.6.

Should clear up in a day or two.  ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:35:13 am »
Welcome,

Have you done a water change since your original install? If not, it may just have gone over the edge while you were gone not adding sanitizer.  You have done well for a rookie to go 2 months and have the water still be good. However, the oily film has me wondering.  Any chance you had neighbors who knew you were out of town and took advantage of that to use the tub?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:23:19 am »
I'm with Bill. Get locking gates.

And I know it sounds like a big deal, but a water change really isn't: if I came home to what you came home to, I'd change my water.

And buy these: http://www.vuezone.com/shop/systems-and-cameras

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

DeaconV

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »
That's funny because not knowing a thing about tub care yet, the first thing that popped into my head was a neighbor, or your older "kids" knew you were away and took advantage to soak their bones...or other things.  Yeah, water change, cleaning, and refill...with locks on the cover.  When our tub finally goes in (this Fall hopefully) we'll have a nice "no you don't" lock on the cover for sure.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42