What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: concrete pad advice, please  (Read 3607 times)

drblythe

concrete pad advice, please
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:25:33 am »
Cheers and Happy New Year everyone!  Here's hoping world tensions simmer down a bit in 2012.
Cheers and Happy New Years everyone!  Here's hoping world tensions will simmer down in 2012.

I have been lurking and learning for 6 months and really appreciate the generous advice on this forum.  Here on mild southern Vancouver Island our options locally are Jacuzzi, Sundance, Beachcomber, Maxx, Coast, Bullfrog and H2O.  We are liking an H2O Radium spa which measures 80" X 80". We have an excavator working and concrete being poured on our property next week for a renovation so I need to quickly figure out what to tell the contractor about how we want the slab prepared for the future hot tub.  I have searched previous posts and still have questions.  I'm assuming we need to dig down to hard-packed soil.  Some posts suggest rebar or wire mesh - can someone explain exactly what I should tell my contractor?  What depth of concrete and what size pad would be reasonable for this spa, bearing in mind that we might change spas in the future?  The ground is level near our back door and we have the option to position the spa partially under the eaves if we snug it right up to the house.  Would that be a good idea?  Or we could have it a bit away from the house and extend the roof.  Or have it partially or totally uncovered.  We're renovating so all options are possible.  Thanks for any advice!           

Hot Tub Forum

concrete pad advice, please
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:25:33 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: concrete pad advice, please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:22:03 am »
My only advice is to leave enough room for someone to service the tub on all sides.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:11 pm »
1.  like stated, have your contractor pour it big enough so you have a couple feet on all sides for service/cleaning/etc.
2.  I always tell customers to position the spa as close to the door as possible, if its 50' away and you live in a freezing climate you won't use the spa as much
3.  having the spa "covered" under an eave or roof is always nice as far as keeping snow/ice off the cover, but not absolutely necessary
4.  concrete should be 4"-6" thick with rebar and/or mesh

good luck

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »

2.  I always tell customers to position the spa as close to the door as possible, if its 50' away and you live in a freezing climate you won't use the spa as much

Very true, last  night was the first time this season the weather has been below 20F when we wanted to go outside. Its been 7 years and we still use our tub 300+ days a year.  If it wasn't 5 feet outside our door, I know that would go way down.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drblythe

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »
Thanks to you both - I appreciate it!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42