What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question to the Repair Pros- Concrete in Acrylic Shell  (Read 3498 times)

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Question to the Repair Pros- Concrete in Acrylic Shell
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »
I got a call from a client who was going to have me move his Tiger River spa. He called back to cancel indicating that he was going to have his spa hauled to the dump because his girlfriend dumped a 50lb bag of cement into the tub and the foot well has a 6-8 inch concrete slab now. (I think they might not be getting along... :( )

I suspect that the acrylic shell surface is smooth enough that the concrete might be dislodged, but before I undertook an effort to make the spa usable, I wanted to get the imput of those who might have had a similar repair situation. Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Question to the Repair Pros- Concrete in Acrylic Shell
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »

d00nut

Re: Question to the Repair Pros- Concrete in Acrylic Shell
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:54:04 am »
I wanted to get the imput of those who might have had a similar repair situation. Any suggestions?

I don't think I have ever come across that!  I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy.  However, 50lbs of concrete isn't that much so it could, but if any settled in the drain, again that would be a heck of a job just to clean it out.

If the vindictive girlfriend (judging here) didn't do a proper mixing job, it could actually be easier than it sounds.

On a side note... that is messed up.

Spa_Tech

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:43:32 am »
I may get to inspect this later today. I will post pictures if I do.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:59:42 pm »
I think it might've been alot worse if she turned on the jets and dumped it down the stand pipe.  ;D

If it was just dumped into the footwell it might be salvageable.  ???
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Waterbug

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:02:54 pm »
  A 50 pound bag of cement would only be about 2" thick, if dispersed in the footwell of a hot tub.  There is rarely a drain in the floor of a tub.  My sugestion is to drill a couple of holes in the cement, of a proper size for a cement anchor bolt, being careful not to drill deeper than the depth of the cement.  Install the anchor bolts.  Attach a chain to the bolts and yank.  Use two men if necessary.
  I'm not sure that this thread is lajit.  I don't think that a customer would be that willing to scap the hot tub, unless the tub was full, with the pump running, when the cement was dumped.
   There is a true story that happened in San Jose California, where a cement truck driver came home unexpectedly for lunch and found his bosses caddy in the driveway.  He put over a yard of his bosses cement into his bosses caddy.  The boss never pressed charges, but the guy was out of a job.  Don't know what became of the wife.

Spa_Tech

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:40:14 am »
Thread is legit-My customer did not respond to repeated phone calls today though, so I'm having some doubts about the story.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »
Thread is legit-My customer did not respond to repeated phone calls today though, so I'm having some doubts about the story.

Drill into the middle of the slab a couple inches deep and install a concrete anchor. Use the drop in style 5/8 or 3/4 and set it good, install an eye bolt. Use the eye bolt and an engine hoist to lift it straight up. Use a rubber mallet to lightly tap on the acrylic just above the concrete all around to loosen it if need be.

Or haul it to the dump!
Retired

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:42:19 pm »
   There is rarely a drain in the floor of a tub. 
There is a bottom drain on the floor in all Tiger River's

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 03:46:52 am »
I would turn the spa upside down and hope the 'slab' falls out.

As was just mentioned: there IS a bottom drain on a Tiger River Spa.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 03:46:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42