What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Confused by disconnect requirements  (Read 3896 times)

mprusak

Confused by disconnect requirements
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »
I know I need a 60 Amp GFI disconnect located at least 5' away and in line of sight of the spa.

I'm confused by some information I have read online.

Is something like this from Home Depot adequate?:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100567181/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

or, is it better to go with something like this:

Connecticut Electric Load Center
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Spa-GFCI-Load-Center-up-to-60A-P9279C193.aspx

What are the advantages of the latter for twice the price?  It speaks to reliability issues (tripping) with those from the big-box stores.  Is this really the case?

I am more than happy to pay the higher price if it makes sense to do so, just not sure if it does...

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

Confused by disconnect requirements
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »

sorebikr

Re: Confused by disconnect requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
I went with the latter for peace of mind.  Its possible that its over-priced and just hype.  However, if it does half what it says it does, I think its money well spent in the grand scheme of things.  Plus, you get the additional breaker if you want to install a few outlets or outdoor lighting while you're at it. 

mprusak

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:34:12 pm »
That's pretty much been my thinking.  Think I might order it.  Did you buy at the same place as my link?

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:30 am »
I did.  Quick shipping.  The thing weighs a ton.  No issues connecting it.

marky mark

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:56:27 am »
I went with the Home Depot and is working perfectly. Mine also has the extra outlet. Less than $50 and simple to hook up. I got the 50 AMP, same thing otherwise.

sti1471

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:33 pm »
The box from home depot has everything the Spa depot box does. It handles up to 60 amp, it is weather tight, and it has an extra spot for another breaker for power or lights. It has the GFCI breaker, and all grounding bars installed.

Since it is being installed outdoors away from the house, having an interference-shielded breaker is an un-needed feature. Both boxes have knock out panels/holes.

The spa depot box is very over priced. I have 2 people on my block with the home depot box and it works perfect right out of the box.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42