What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: *Arctic* Heater L gasket  (Read 4408 times)

anne

*Arctic* Heater L gasket
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »
I posted this question already, but I'm hoping that the change in the title might attract someone's knowlegable attention?

"Hello- hoping for a little expert advice.

I'm replacing "pump #1" in my Arctic tub. Reinstalling the suction side was easy as pie. The other side fits up to the heater assembly itself, and for the life of me, I cannot get the L gasket to fit in anyway that makes sense. This is a split-nut joint with a metal heater assembly pipe meeting up with the plastic pump pipe. The L gasket "lip" will not fit into the interior dimension of the pipes, but I cannot otherwise imagine how it can create a seal. I am using a new L gasket, as the old one is brittle, but it is exactly the same size at the old one. Since I waited 2+ weeks for parts, I dont remember exactly how the gasket was oriented when I removed it, but it seems to me it was just sitting there in the joint when I took it apart!

Anyone? Thanks!"

Since posting this, I have made several calls to Arctic, and gotten no call back. This seems like way too simple a project to have to have a technician come out to do, so I'm REALLY hoping that Arctic management is still lurking here?

If not, newbies searching for hits on certain brands are sure to benefit from the outcome of this thread. ;)

Anyway, if you have any advice, I'm grateful.

Anne
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

*Arctic* Heater L gasket
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
Re: *Arctic* Heater L gasket
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »
There is a great guy with Arctic. His name is Shane, and he is sometimes on this forum.
He was a huge help to me with some issues I was having with some jets.
I have found Arctic people are very willing to help once you get up with someone.
I'll send you his email address. I don't mind that you tell him you got his name from me, but I don't feel right posting his email address here.

Jim
PS
I have to take pictures when I take stuff apart, otherwise it never goes back together.

anne

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:03:42 am »
Thanks! Shane is, in fact, who helped me. I had to call about 3 times, but once I had him, he had an answer in 30 seconds. Apparently the new L gasket does not fit like the old one, and I have to cut the "lip" off. I went back to the old pump, and saw that it *DID* fit as one would expect when I had removed it.......new pump has a smaller inner diameter to the pipe, so the "L" wont fit inside. So I cut off the lip, then tried to balance the newly made ring gasket in place while holding everything together, and the union leaked. (This is also because of the way the new pump doesnt fit as well between the suction line, bolts in the floor and heater assembly, but I digress....) I lost patience, and the project is now on hold until the weekend. :P Thanks for helping! :)

Anne

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:11:47 am »
Wish I was close enough to give you a hand, Anne..I miss seeing you on here. Good luck and let us know how things work out  :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 02:10:37 am »
Thanks, Boni! Alas, the problem may not have been the pump. There is all sorts of electrical badness happening now. Wires fried that were not fried before, so I'm going to have to call someone out. And I do have to say, if nothing else as a warning to others, Arctic spas were NOT built by people with ANY freaking concept of reverse engineering. Sure guys- put it together however is easiest and fastest for you......YOU wont be the one fixing it later! GRRRRRR!

anne

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:49:02 am »
An update for anyone interested:

The "fried wires" I referred to were the heater's pigtail. Since pump # 1 runs the heater, that was the component I erroneously blamed. Good news is that the rest of the spa pack is ok (the "expensive stuff"). Bad news is, I have to wait for a few parts, and my neck is KILLING me! I need a soak in the worst way! Arctic sent me the wrong gasket for the union between the heater and pump #1, so that is dripping. Once I have that and a new pigtail/plug, I'll be back and running.

My repair guy's opinion is that Balboa boards/components last a lot longer that Gecko (Arctic uses Gecko). General consensus? (Doesn't matter much to me anymore, but someone else may need this info. (He also sang the praises of Arctic for NOT being FF........fully, admittedly, from the stand point of being the repair guy. I found that QUITE amusing. ) ;)

Anne

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:49:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42