What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's the best cover-lifter for small tub?  (Read 4937 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What's the best cover-lifter for small tub?
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:12:18 am »
First of all I want to thank all of you who have responded to my many questions regarding my concerns about certain tubs.  We have made our decision to go with the Caldera Kauai because it's size fits our requirements nicely.  Now I have a question about which cover-lifter is best for that size tub.  Dealer says the cover would attach to the short side of the Kauai which is only 65" wide.  I'm thinking I would like either the ProLift IV (needs only 7" of clearance) or the ProLift which takes only 14" of clearance.  With the cover hinged in two, am I correct in thinking the cover would extend above the top of the tub by only about 4-5 inches (tub is 29" deep)?  Would like air flow around tub to be as unobstructed as possible and not blocked by a big cover in the way.  Any opinions as to which would be better (ProLift IV or ProLift) for our use would be appreciated.  Oh, and if there's another lifter mechanism out there that would be better please suggest that as well.  Dealer is selling us the lifter at his cost supposedly ($250) since he threw in the ozone system in the purchase.  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

What's the best cover-lifter for small tub?
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:12:18 am »

castletonia

Re: What's the best cover-lifter for small tub?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:33:28 pm »
I have only used and sold the lifts by Leisure Concepts so I have no experience with the Prolift's.  On a spa that small I would use a Covermate Eco since the two sides are not connected nothing has to be cut down to fit. 

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41:25 pm »
With the ProLift IV the cover will stick up very, very high.  I typically only like selling the Uprite lifts (ProLift IV) (Speaking Hot Spring lingo) when the spa is pushed up to a wall or fence.  Reason being, is the Uprite (ProLift IV) will act like a sail in the wind.  In the regular pro lift lifter, the cover will stick up pretty high, probably about 2' or more if the cover does go on the short side.  (I'm not super familiar with the Caldera cover orientation.)  The ProLift II would get the cover down lower than any other lifters they offer.  Although, that needs 24" of clearance.

Just a side note.  If you do use an "off branded" cover lifter.  That of being one not from Watkins, it will void your 2 year stitching warranty on your cover.  Got the notice a few months back... just an fyi!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:51 pm »
Just as an FYI, there's a federal law (originally designed for the automotive industry), stating they CAN'T void the warranty for NOT using THEIR proprietary products. They CAN though, NOT honor the warranty IF they can prove that the non-proprietary product directly caused the damage... It also puts the burden of proof on "them".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:55:03 pm by Dr. Spa™ »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »
I would look at the Covermate EZ that it was we use on are smaller tubs,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:09:13 pm »
Just as an FYI, there's a federal law (originally designed for the automotive industry), stating they CAN'T void the warranty for NOT using THEIR proprietary products. They CAN though, NOT honor the warranty IF they can prove that the non-proprietary product directly caused the damage... It also puts the burden of proof on "them".

Thanks for the heads up!  I think I'll restate that then, they will not honor the warranty if you use a different lift.  Since Watkins is the only manufacture to make their own covers, I don't believe they designed them to have a bar rest across the seam.  All of Watkins cover lifts physically attach to the cover... just saying.

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:21 pm »
I thought Sunstar made the covers for Watkin's?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »
They would have to show that the coverlifter caused the damage in order to not honor the warranty (most cover manufacturers warranty state they will not cover damage caused by any coverlifters anyways...but still they have to show that the damage WAS caused by the lifter).

Watkins make their own covers (NOT Sunstar).

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »
the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

""Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. "

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42