What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump cuts out on high speed - takes a while to restart (overheating?)  (Read 3158 times)

smashed

HI,
I recently bought my used hot tub. It worked fine. I had the pump on high for a few cycles so that we could flush it, disperse chemicals etc. No issues.
My friends came round and I found we were raising the water high as they are big guys (it went above the top of the skimmer). We tried the pump on high (low no issues) but it cut out after about 30-60secs. The pump would then not go on low either.
After a min or so I can get it on low but not high, and after a few mins it works on high (for about 30secs again).
I opened the cabinet and it was quite warm in there and had a bit of a burning smell. I tried it again but I could not see any smoke etc even though it could out quickly.
There is no warning on the balboa display when this happens.

From my own deductions I would presume that the pump is overheating and has some kind of cut out feature. Would this be correct? Or is it something else please?

The tub is a Spaform and the pump is a Genesis GC150-2XJ-B

Thanks for any suggestions

Hot Tub Forum

smashed

I did run the pump without the filter previously (as per instructions when flushing). Is it possible that I have got some debris in the impeller? If so, wouldnt that stop the high speed pump from starting as opposed to overheating?

Thanks

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
its possible to get something in the impellar if you ran without the filter in, But if it is working on low speed than i cannot see that being the problem, it could be the pump motor hi limit , could have a wiring issue , could be the windings...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

smashed

Thanks for the reply. I would presume that it is not the wirings since it worked fine on high when I was testing it and flushing etc.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42