What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drain the Sundance for the summer?  (Read 9965 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Drain the Sundance for the summer?
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:25 pm »
Hey Folks, been quite a while since I have posted here. Still have a 05 Sundance Optima, it's been a great tub. We've only had to replace the ozonator and main circuit board each once (luckily the latter was under warranty).

Every summer I have kept it open, set to economy mode, maintained the chemicals. But we never use it then. So I'm entertaining the idea of draining it down this summer till October. Good or bad idea?

Hot Tub Forum

Drain the Sundance for the summer?
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:25 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Drain the Sundance for the summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:37 am »
I am thinking of doing the same...but I am a bit concerned about the heat that builds up under the cover in the summer..Running both a pool and a tub gets expensive!! I know they say you can prop the cover with tennis balls to vent the heat, but I wonder about bacteria growth in any water that remains in the tub...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »
Being in Dallas I empty mine in the summer.
Some say it's not good for the seals...ect
I've never had a problem.
This summer I may not empty because I am selling my
house & want potential buyers to see a full hot-tub.

Water Boy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »
Where you moving to Zep. Out of town of just a new place. Just curious! Also, do you plan to get a new hot tub for your new place?
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »
I am thinking of doing the same...but I am a bit concerned about the heat that builds up under the cover in the summer..Running both a pool and a tub gets expensive!! I know they say you can prop the cover with tennis balls to vent the heat, but I wonder about bacteria growth in any water that remains in the tub...

The way I understand it, one uses a vacuum on all the jets to remove as much water as possible, and could even break pump unions, etc. to remove even more water. Don't know if I will go this far, as my tub is indoors. Even if I have to double fill the tub in the fall to flush out all the badies, that would be easier than the weekly maintenance thing all summer long.

On the subject of pool expenses, this year I'm staying out of the local Leslie's as much as possible, and going BBB...

http://www.troublefreepool.com/the-bbb-method-f54.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:09:14 pm by johnvb »

Zep

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:58 pm »
Where you moving to Zep. Out of town or just a new place. Just curious!
Also, do you plan to get a new hot tub for your new place?

Beer Man I am moving about 20 minutes north of where I am.
Found a really good deal on what I consider my dream house.
I had a checklist and the newer house hit almost all of them.
Part of my checklist was a pool, and the newer house has a pool.
So for now I will not have my own hot tub but will use my brother's new Jacuzzi tub.
Below is my new water toy.....now I gotta fill it with bikinis!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:06 pm »
Very nice..congratulations on your new house, Zeb...hope you still hang around here even though you don't have a tub in your back yard  ;)

Zep

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:27:00 pm »
Thanks Boni
Yeah I am going to check-in for sure....
Plus the way the housing market is
I may own a hot tub for awhile until the old house sells.
Could take awhile....

Spalady

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:32 pm »
In general draining and refilling after lengthy time empty can cause problems in tubs. The main reason is the plumbing which can contract when dry, glue joints etc can be damaged. For short times, it shouldn’t be a problem though. When you refill, give it a good dose of chlorine and flush the system well to kill any bacteria that may be lurking in the plumbing.

Or, you could just turn it to your eco mode, turn the heat off and use if for a cool tub! How much do you think you save by having it empty?
I would contact my local dealer (where you got the spa) and ask if they have had any issues with spas that have sat dry for months.
In Hot Water and Loving it since 1976.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »
Actually, I ran my tub in Economy mode for the last 4 winters..no problems..it only heats when it filters..Maybe I will just do as you say and make it a cool tub..thanks

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:05 am »
Or, you could just turn it to your eco mode, turn the heat off and use if for a cool tub! How much do you think you save by having it empty?
I would contact my local dealer (where you got the spa) and ask if they have had any issues with spas that have sat dry for months.

That's pretty much what I have been doing, the spa room is unconditioned, in the summer I pull down plastic black-out shades over the windows, but here in southeastern Va., the tub will never really get cool. Anyway, that's what the pool's for. ;D I called Sundance yesterday, they didn't really give me a yea or nay, which was interesting. The CS rep's "opinion" was that draining it down would be the lesser of two evils. ??? In my manual they go into great detail about winterization, evidentialy the pumps have drain plugs on them, if I wanted to go that far. But that would make a mess in the room.

It's as much about being able to "turn off" the responsibility of making sure the tub stays properly maintained chemical wise, as it is the cost. Or maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. :-[ The way I do my chemicals is every other week I check and add water, ph, shock, stain prevent, bromine tabs, etc. And not all at once, so it's kind of a drawn out process (the other weeks I just check ph and add tabs, so I'm in and out).

Thanks for all for the input, I still have a few good weeks before the summer heat hits, to think about it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:48:38 am by johnvb »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:43 am »

Water Boy

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
Very nice pool Zep. Enjoy, and congrats on the new place!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42