What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Omni pod Insulin pump  (Read 3109 times)

96SC

Omni pod Insulin pump
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:42:47 pm »
Do any of you or someone you know wear the Omni pod insulin pump?  It's the type that has insulin stored in a 'computer mouse' sized reservior that attaches to your body, unlike the tube type of insulin system.

Have they had trouble 'cooking' their insulin if they use the hot tub?  I wear one and several weeks ago I wore it in the tub (104 degrees) and the next day my blood sugars were through the roof.  Thinking I ate something I shouldn't have (like that ever happens :-[) I kept pumping insulin to bring it down.
After several hours I realize the previous night I wore my 'pod' into the tub and may have 'cooked my insulin.  I changed pods etc and after several hours my sugars returned to normal.

Do any of you know anything about hot tubs and insulin?  Our body creates insulin but we're only 98.6+-, so it has some tolerance to heat, but how much.

Thanks to any of you with some input.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Omni pod Insulin pump
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:42:47 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Omni pod Insulin pump
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »
 this article touches on a couple of things that might have caused your high blood sugar. Beside the fact that the insulin may have been degraded by the heat, you also need to remember to be very well hydrated when you soak.  Maybe this was a blessing as you might need to be a bit more careful when you soak.  Hope you are feeling OK and have your sugar under control now... ;)
http://www.suite101.com/content/diabetes-and-heat-related-problems-a263902
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Omni pod Insulin pump
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42