What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sweetwater Bahia Circulation Pump Question  (Read 5097 times)

bkesparks

Sweetwater Bahia Circulation Pump Question
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »
Hi.  Your forum has been very helpful. 

I have a Sweetwater Bahia ('03 or '04).  I have had some FL1 error issues.  No FL1 if I run with no filter, and it runs okay for a few weeks while after putting in a new/cleaned filter before the FL1 comes back. 

I removed the circ pump to see if it was clogged - long story on how there might have been some debris.  When I pulled the circ pump and removed the cover, the impeller seems to be very, very wobbly - almost like it wasn't connected to anything.  It doesn't make a ton of noise when it runs that I've noticed.  Is a wobbly impeller normal?  I suspect that's my issue, but wanted some advice before plunking down $200 for a new pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Sweetwater Bahia Circulation Pump Question
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

RUBADUBDUB

Re: Sweetwater Bahia Circulation Pump Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:57 am »
The Circ pump is a megnetically driven impeller. SMS-909 or something like that was the old code. I think the new replacement from Sundance/ Jacuzzi is coded E-10. The slightest debris in those pumps will cause some issue.

bkesparks

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:48:22 am »
Thanks for your help.  I didn't know what magnetically driven means - never heard of that, so I looked it up.  For anyone else in my same boat (or hot tub), I grabbed the description below from ktsales.com.  New circ pump is on its way.  I figured going 24x7 for 7 years is a pretty good run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Considerations unique to magnetic driven pumps

• the magnets will attract iron and steel particles
    the connection between pump and motor is not direct and may become lost if loads or starting torque is high.
    the pump has close clearances within -- NOT desirable when handling abrasive solutions or "electroless plating solutions."
    the pump does not have a drive shaft that requires packing or a mechanical seal
"Mag drive pumps" a popular choice because they are considered "seal-less" and typically stop running before any leakage would occur.  This is very desirable when using corrosive chemicals.  For may applications with flow rates under 60 GPM, that require a thermoplastic pump, they generally cost less and are easier to maintain than pumps with mechanical seals.  Mag drive pumps are available in large sizes that cover flow rates up to 3000 GPM.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:48:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42