What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Sundance Cameo Questions  (Read 5255 times)

hailypup20

New Sundance Cameo Questions
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:35 pm »
Good evening,

We appreciated the advice when searching for a hot tub, so now that our Sundance Cameo has arrived, been hooked up, and is sitting at a beautiful 101F (oddly, it is warm here for November, but that 101F will feel even better as we get into winter).

Anyway, we have a few concerns, and hoping there might be a simple solution to some of them...

1)  We had a 240V/60A breaker put in with the thought process being that it would be nice to have the heater work in conjunction with the jets in the deep winter months.  However, it appears that after I turn on the 2 sets of jets, the heater turns off (at least the icon does)...is there another setting I need to fix?  Did the electrician not set it up properly? 

2)  The remote control doesn't seem to do a darn thing (and we even swapped out the 3V battery)...again, am I being an idiot, or is it likely that we have a faulty remote?

3)  The radio reception sucks...and by that I mean I'm not able to pull in a single AM station (which would be nice for listening to sports) and most of the 'local' FM stations are very static filled or impossible to hear.  We put in a CD, and that sounded fine.  For the record, I can place a $8 alarm clock radio nearby and it can get a reception just fine.  Would this most likely be a) a fault with the stereo (don't think it is this) b) wiring too close to something, c) too hard to tell or d) the radio reception on these typically sucks and we better get used to CDs or the MP3 connection

4)  Upon the initial fill, the Ph level appeared to be off the charts...I did a few iterations of adding a Ph Down solution (liquid) and eventually used up the entire 16 ounce bottle to get it to what appears to be below 8.2 at least.  I added a bit more powder tonight (had to go buy some from the local Menards) and am hoping it is even a bit lower tomorrow.  Any recommendations on what I can do in the future when I fill the tub other than just throwing a bunch of acid in there? 

FYI, for those who offered advice in the past, we went with the Twilight (dark blue) shell with the Coastal (grey) exterior - looks phenomenal with the lights at night!

I guess while I'm posting - does anyone have advice on the most-readable test strips on the market...the sample pack we received is almost impossible for me to tell between a normal Ph and a high Ph (and the alkalinity is also hard to read)  Are the electronic ones worth the money?

Sorry if some of my questions have easy answers...just a newbie at all of this.  Much thanks to all!

Hot Tub Forum

New Sundance Cameo Questions
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:35 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: New Sundance Cameo Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:41:41 am »
Good evening,

We appreciated the advice when searching for a hot tub, so now that our Sundance Cameo has arrived, been hooked up, and is sitting at a beautiful 101F (oddly, it is warm here for November, but that 101F will feel even better as we get into winter).

Anyway, we have a few concerns, and hoping there might be a simple solution to some of them...

1)  We had a 240V/60A breaker put in with the thought process being that it would be nice to have the heater work in conjunction with the jets in the deep winter months.  However, it appears that after I turn on the 2 sets of jets, the heater turns off (at least the icon does)...is there another setting I need to fix?  Did the electrician not set it up properly? 

2)  The remote control doesn't seem to do a darn thing (and we even swapped out the 3V battery)...again, am I being an idiot, or is it likely that we have a faulty remote?

3)  The radio reception sucks...and by that I mean I'm not able to pull in a single AM station (which would be nice for listening to sports) and most of the 'local' FM stations are very static filled or impossible to hear.  We put in a CD, and that sounded fine.  For the record, I can place a $8 alarm clock radio nearby and it can get a reception just fine.  Would this most likely be a) a fault with the stereo (don't think it is this) b) wiring too close to something, c) too hard to tell or d) the radio reception on these typically sucks and we better get used to CDs or the MP3 connection

4)  Upon the initial fill, the Ph level appeared to be off the charts...I did a few iterations of adding a Ph Down solution (liquid) and eventually used up the entire 16 ounce bottle to get it to what appears to be below 8.2 at least.  I added a bit more powder tonight (had to go buy some from the local Menards) and am hoping it is even a bit lower tomorrow.  Any recommendations on what I can do in the future when I fill the tub other than just throwing a bunch of acid in there? 

FYI, for those who offered advice in the past, we went with the Twilight (dark blue) shell with the Coastal (grey) exterior - looks phenomenal with the lights at night!

I guess while I'm posting - does anyone have advice on the most-readable test strips on the market...the sample pack we received is almost impossible for me to tell between a normal Ph and a high Ph (and the alkalinity is also hard to read)  Are the electronic ones worth the money?

Sorry if some of my questions have easy answers...just a newbie at all of this.  Much thanks to all!

1)  I would check to be sure the jumpers are configured for 60 amp.  Typically customer tells dealer that is what they want and dealer configures.
2)  Sounds like faulty remote.
3)  Get used to CDs and MP3 player
4)  Adjust TA 1st.
Someone else will have to recommend test strips or test kit.  Many folks like Taylor kits.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:20:45 am »
The reception is not a new problem with spa stereos. I've tried a car antennae plugged in, extended and tucked into the equipment compartment with decent results on a couple spas where there was little to no reception with the dinky antennae they came with but otherwise think of it as a CD player.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 03:15:27 pm »
 I would call your dealer, the not heating on high spd is probably like mentioned they didn't remove the jumper on the board, stereo hard to say, some have had luck moving the antenna to the outside of the spa.    The remote should work have you tried pointing direct at the stereo to see if that works.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »
Good evening,

I guess while I'm posting - does anyone have advice on the most-readable test strips on the market...the sample pack we received is almost impossible for me to tell between a normal Ph and a high Ph (and the alkalinity is also hard to read)  Are the electronic ones worth the money?

I have the "AquaChek TruTest Digital Test Strip Reader" that reads the test strips and gives a reading. I like it a lot. I find test strips impossible, especially for PH. I have definitely found it to be worth it.  

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:26:03 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 06:37:44 pm »
It should be noted, the AquaChek TruTest Digital Test Strip Reader uses it's own "special" test strips.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:15 am »
It should be noted, the AquaChek TruTest Digital Test Strip Reader uses it's own "special" test strips.

Great point, and while some might consider them pricey, I get good results with them, I use one about every 2 weeks. This is based on being fairly experienced on keeping my water in good shape, and this just gives me an occasional accurate reading to check up.  I think I buy 2 bottles of strips a year.   Those of you who check every 5 minutes with a new tub, will run up a big bill this way  ;)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42