What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The search continues--long post  (Read 3842 times)

bobwinfl

The search continues--long post
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:10 pm »
Thought I would share our progress so far in our recent search.  We have shopped all our local dealers and this week we expanded the search out to over 100 miles away because that is where the dealers seemed to be who have products on hand instead of shopping out of brochures.  It was very productive because we were able to eliminate many brands from our list because of poor workmanship, bad impression of dealer, or just an uncomfortable fit.  We are interested in either a very roomy 2-3 seater or a small 4 seater.  This is because we want to put it in a small area of an enclosed porch.  We want to get the most for our money, like everyone else, but we don't just want to buy a piece of junk.  I feel sort of lucky that we have not found very many that fit our needs, because we were overwhelmed with all the choices out there.  All testing has been dry only.  Here's what we are considering so far:

Hot Springs--Local dealer, didn't meet with hut tub guy, so the pool guy helped us out
Jetsetter--Had one in store displayed vertical on showroom floor, so unable to sit in it

Sundance--Local dealer, not pushy, seemed to know product pretty well
Dover--Nice fit, seemed like a quality product
Camden--Bigger than Dover so more seating options, have not seen one in person

Jacuzzi--120 miles away, seemed like a good friendly dealer that was not pushy, but he admittedly just started carrying the brand, so he did not really know the product as well as other brands he carried
J-315--Nice fit, seemed like a quality product
J-325--Bigger than J-315 so more seating options, have not seen one in person

Artesian--110 miles away, dealer seemed very friendly, helpful, and really knew her products
Island Dominica--Seemed like the Island line tubs were a quality product and fit us well, impressed with helix jet idea and features, but did not have that particular model on hand
Southseas 743D--(same shell as Dominica, but lesser line without helix jets and other options we may want) very comfortable seating and spacious for small tub, could not tell a difference from Island line

Our dealer was steering us toward the southseas tub for a substantial price savings, but there were a few creature comforts in higher end Island line (helix jets, headrests, 2 pumps) that we were attracted to.  I am sort of leery of buying the cheap line for some reason, I keep asking why is is the line so much cheaper ($2K less) than the Island line.  Is it just different jets and jet configuration, one less filter, and one less pump?  Did they leave out something that I'll really miss, or do two pumps and filters and a few options really jacks up the price quick? 

We have a wet test of the southseas 743d and a larger Island line tub she has on hand scheduled for the end of the month.  I think I'm going to ask if they can fill one tub using bromine and the other with dichlor so we can see if we can feel a difference with that at the same time.  If anyone has any comments or recommendations for us before then, I'd love to hear them.  Sorry for the long post, I'll try not to make it a habit. 

Hot Tub Forum

The search continues--long post
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:10 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: The search continues--long post
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:06:19 pm »
  What ever fits you best and your budget.  I like 5 year warranty's if your gonna spend the money might as well have one.  I don't think Artesian does in that line.  Jacuzzi & Hot Springs do.  The other I don't know much about.   

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:04:26 am »
Here's what we are considering so far:

Hot Springs--Local dealer, didn't meet with hut tub guy, so the pool guy helped us out
Jetsetter--Had one in store displayed vertical on showroom floor, so unable to sit in it

Sundance--Local dealer, not pushy, seemed to know product pretty well
Dover--Nice fit, seemed like a quality product
Camden--Bigger than Dover so more seating options, have not seen one in person

Jacuzzi--120 miles away, seemed like a good friendly dealer that was not pushy, but he admittedly just started carrying the brand, so he did not really know the product as well as other brands he carried
J-315--Nice fit, seemed like a quality product
J-325--Bigger than J-315 so more seating options, have not seen one in person

Artesian--110 miles away, dealer seemed very friendly, helpful, and really knew her products
Island Dominica--Seemed like the Island line tubs were a quality product and fit us well, impressed with helix jet idea and features, but did not have that particular model on hand
Southseas 743D--(same shell as Dominica, but lesser line without helix jets and other options we may want) very comfortable seating and spacious for small tub, could not tell a difference from Island line

No issue with those brands but two of those dealers are pretty far away. If you do consider a dealer that far away get in writing (now before you go too far) exactly how much they will charge for warranty service (yes, they can charge a travel fee for warranty work and with a 1½ to 2 hr drive I'd pretty much expect one). In fact, ask all 4 if they charge a travel fee for warranty work so you're comparing apples to apples.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bobwinfl

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:41:43 pm »
No issue with those brands but two of those dealers are pretty far away. If you do consider a dealer that far away get in writing (now before you go too far) exactly how much they will charge for warranty service (yes, they can charge a travel fee for warranty work and with a 1½ to 2 hr drive I'd pretty much expect one). In fact, ask all 4 if they charge a travel fee for warranty work so you're comparing apples to apples.

Great ides Spatech_tuo, I didn't think of getting a quote for trip charge in writing or know they would if asked.  I will definately ask to get it in writing before I make any decisions.  I already asked the local Sundance dealer and they charge $90 trip charge and they are not even 10 miles away.  They also want the same price to deliver a tub to my house as the more distant dealers (100+ miles away), which seems odd.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:29:19 am by wmccall »

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:22:39 am »
I'd automatically deduct the delivery charge.  They should include that - especially the local dealers.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

bobwinfl

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:57:10 am »
I'd automatically deduct the delivery charge.  They should include that - especially the local dealers.

I'm glad you mentioned that, while we are talking about added on charges, is it normal for the buyer to be charged the freight to have the tub delivered to the store as well as delivery to my house?  When the first dealer told me that I would have to pay an additional $400 if I special ordered I thought he was joking.  So far only one dealer I've been to (Hot Springs) said no extra charge for freight or delivery.

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »
My opinion on delivery is that it shouldn't be a line item charge.  That doesn't mean they don't cover their cost of delivery in the price, they need to do that, but if prices are comparable and models are comparable, if one is charging for delivery, I'd not pay it or go elsewhere.

A special order tub could include a freight charge.  Here's why.  If you want to place an order and have it shipped quickly, the cost for shipping one tub is very high.  However, if a dealer orders your spa and waits to have it ship with a larger order, then his freight costs are much lower. 

Ask the dealer if you place the order but wait for him to order other tubs, will that eliminate the extra freight charge.  It should.  The only problem with that scenario is you have to wait for the dealer to place an order.  You'd have to get him to let you know how long it'll be before he orders.  If he just got an order in, it may be awhile.  If it's been awhile, he might be ordering soon.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42