What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any new innovations in hot tub TVs?  (Read 4939 times)

Josh

Any new innovations in hot tub TVs?
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »
Hi again everyone. I haven't been around in forever, but I had a hot tub question, and remembered that this was the place to go.

A couple of years ago, I bought my hot tub (the LA Spas "Heet") after reading opinions on these forums, doing a ton of research and most importantly...wet testing all the most highly recommended brands. Ultimatley, I was very happy with my choice...except for one thing: I didn't add the TV.

I read a lot of advice on the forums suggesting not to add a TV. People said they didn't use theirs much anymore, or that they break...and all these other things that made a lot of sense to me at the time.  But two years later, I'm still wishing I would have paid the extra money and picked up a built-in tv....because whenever I'm out there alone, I'm always thinking "Man, it would be cool to be watching something on TV right now".   ;D

Winter's coming, and I'm thinking of buying a standalone TV to install out on my deck next to the hot tub. Either that or something specifically made to hook onto the side of a hot tub (if such a thing exists).

Sunbrite is the only manufacturer I've seen mentioned here after searching....but that was years ago, and they cost an arm and a leg.  I'm wondering if there's anything newer (that's not two thousand bucks or more). I figured someone here might know.

Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Any new innovations in hot tub TVs?
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Any new innovations in hot tub TVs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »
My cousin installed an inexpensive flat panel TV over his bar..on his dock at the beach. The TV survived Nor Easters, hurricanes and all sorts of weather maladies.
He used plexi glass to protect the sides and the top was under the roof over the bar. I don't know if you would consider a construction project like that, or if that would be even more expensive than what you already have found..but his TVs are still in tact and working..it's been years. maybe something to think about.
Is there any way that you can see a screen mounted in your house from the tub?..you would only have to pipe the sound outside??
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »
I believe Watkins introduced a TV a couple of years ago for both the Caldera and Hot Spring line.  The unique feature (and others may have this, I'm just not sure) is that it is removable.  You don't have to leave it sitting in/on the hot tub when it's not in use.  No idea on the cost.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

kkaudio

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:38:07 am »
well I may be able to help on this some I do home audio and video and have a few customers with sets out side.  A few questions for you

the area where the set will be is it covered?
what does the temp drop to during the winter?

I have a few clients that have went with the Vizo from Sams, Walmart, Costco and had great luck with them.  There are a few companies who make weather enclousers for the sets or even sell them with a set and of those 2 use the Vizo.  also will you need a cable box or sat box  out there where the set is?  Comcast is moveing to where all the TVs hooked to them will need boxes by the end of 2011.  Hope this helps some 

Josh

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:19:53 am »
My cousin installed an inexpensive flat panel TV over his bar..on his dock at the beach. The TV survived Nor Easters, hurricanes and all sorts of weather maladies.
He used plexi glass to protect the sides and the top was under the roof over the bar. I don't know if you would consider a construction project like that, or if that would be even more expensive than what you already have found..but his TVs are still in tact and working..it's been years. maybe something to think about.
Is there any way that you can see a screen mounted in your house from the tub?..you would only have to pipe the sound outside??

I have thought about a plexiglass enclosure of some kind. The hot tub is out on my deck, and I thought I could have a bench built, with a plexiglass front on it and a TV inside. I would of course price it out and see how much that cost vs. a "marine" or outdoor television.

I believe Watkins introduced a TV a couple of years ago for both the Caldera and Hot Spring line.  The unique feature (and others may have this, I'm just not sure) is that it is removable.  You don't have to leave it sitting in/on the hot tub when it's not in use.  No idea on the cost.

Interesting. I'll call a couple of local spa stores and ask them. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

well I may be able to help on this some I do home audio and video and have a few customers with sets out side.  A few questions for you

the area where the set will be is it covered?
what does the temp drop to during the winter?

I have a few clients that have went with the Vizo from Sams, Walmart, Costco and had great luck with them.  There are a few companies who make weather enclousers for the sets or even sell them with a set and of those 2 use the Vizo.  also will you need a cable box or sat box  out there where the set is?  Comcast is moveing to where all the TVs hooked to them will need boxes by the end of 2011.  Hope this helps some 

The set would be on a deck, exposed to all the elements, including the occasional snow....so while I might put a regular cover on it (or install it in a box of some kind), I imagine it would get down to freezing sometimes. It's Seattle, so I think the lowest we've ever gotten is the single digits.   I have Comcast, and it would be pretty easy to run some coax out there if I needed to....(I didn't know they were going to require boxes for all TVs though, that stinks

Do you have any info on the weather enclosures for TVs?  I found a few online, but they're more expensive than the outdoor televisions I found.   

kkaudio

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49:46 pm »
for what your talking I would probly just build a small enclouser using plexi or lexan and use a cheaper tv such as a Vizio or you could use a cover  from someone such as http://allweathertvcovers.com/large-cover.html they have a cover to fit most sizes during the winter if your not at the tub and it is going down to the teens or lowe I may recomend bring it in when not using it

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »
I had a customer by a 42" flat screen t.v , had built a closet of the house with bifold doors to protect when not in use... it works great up here in the cold, snow, wind etc....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

kkaudio

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:35 am »
just got this in my email today  from a dealer publacation

http://www.seura.com/p/products/new&id=8

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42